I sent this to my MP today

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
Dear Mr Byers,

I have just finished reading your article in the Chronicle Extra March 26th 2008 in which you state "for society to work we have to respect one another and take responsibility for the things we do and recognise that we have obligations to other people".

Perhaps you will be able to tell me who exactly is responsible for our elderly people in private care homes. Is it the elderly persons family? the carers in the home? the social workers? the care home manager? or the management team of the care home company?or even the member of parliament?

I ask because my mother was recently in January 2008 moved into a new nursing home because she is suffering from Vascular Dementia, I wont go into all of her medical details as it would take too long. The home she is in is run by (name removed by moderator).

On Sunday 10th February the family decided to bring her out for the day for her tea to her home. My sister who went to pick her up found her slumped in an armchair wet down one side( she had vomited mucous). The carers took my mother away to be changed and brought her back handing her over to my sister and her husband. They managed with difficulty to get her into their car and out of the car at home. I noticed immediately that she was in fact unconscious. The carer in the home when we phoned said "bring her back we will get a doctor out tomorrow". We knew it was impossible and so phoned 999. The para medic who attended was astonished that she had been allowed out of the care home in that condition. She was diagnosed in NT General as having Streptococcal Pneumonia she was on pure oxygen and antibiotics. We were told it was life threatening and she might not survive the next 24hr. So if we had done what the carer suggested she would probably be dead now.

Since moving my mother to this care home the family have been very concerned about the state of the home and the care she is receiving.

Last weekend my sister visited my mother to discover her once again slumped in the chair complaining of pain in her side and arm, her eye was also infected with yellow pus. Obviously because of past events we were very concerned about our mothers health and so my brother phoned that night asking for a visit by the doctor. The doctor refused to visit and said my mother would be monitored by the care staff. We were not happy about this.

Do you ever make unannounced visits to care homes? Maybe you should. My mothers' home stinks and we were told the air conditioning is broken. The armchairs the residents sit in are disgusting and until recently some were protected by black bin liners, cleaning seems to be at a minimum.Last night when I visited, the nurse said she only had 2 carers helping her when she should have 5. My mother sits in the same position all day and so has a bedsore on her backside which makes her cry out in pain.

I know the carers do the best they can for very little money, it is obviously a very demanding job. Surely the Management team of (name removed by moderator) are responsible for providing clean accommodation in pleasant surrounding with well qualified and sufficient staff for their residents who are paying a huge amount of money to be cared for.

I suspect the Directors,Chief Executive,Chairman, Financial Officers are making huge profits from the plight of our elderly people in their dying days and so I refer once again to your article about responsibility "They are being selfish. Putting themselves before anything else." and it is our elderly people who are being treat inhumanly as profit making fodder.

Our whole family are grief stricken and heartbroken because our mother needs to be looked after in a nursing home and it makes it all the more difficult to bear when we see how she must live out her final days in such a place as (name removed by moderator). We were only given the choice of 3 homes and this one seemed better than the others. Unfortunately we discovered otherwise.

I do not think our society shows any respect for our elderly people when local authorities and the NHS cannot provide excellent care for them and hands them over to uncaring profit making organisations such as (name removed by moderator).

I thank you for taking your time to read this and look forward to your reply in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Last edited by a moderator:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Well done Nancy.
I hope you will post the reply and give news of any subsequent action. Did you send a copy of your letter to the management of the Home?

Best wishes Jan

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
I wanted to send this email on to (name removed by moderator) but ther was no email adress to send it to

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
We are sending letters to (name removed by moderator)and the Doctors Practice, also Social Services

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Nancy

It would seem you have attached(?) letters to your emails that you are presumably sending to(?) as some people have commented on them. I haven't been able to see those letters, am I doing something wrong? Can someone other than Nancy tell me what I am missing? I am really useless on technology, sorry!

My initial response, Nancy, would be that you do not put up with this, something must be done. I am sure lots of people other than me will tell you what must be done. But your situation is not acceptable. I think there are things wrong with my mum's care home, but not to this extent.

I hope I can find all the other documentation, and wish you luck.

Margaret.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Nancy
I am sorry things were this bad to have send a letter. Your poor poor mum. I hope you dont mind, but I've bookmarked it. It is an inspiration. I have drafted letters too about the situation in my authority. I have sent one to CSCI and one to a councillor who's 'portfolio' is health. Perhaps you could send a copy of this letter to someother people too, just for their 'information'.

When I had concerns about some aspect of my dads care at his last home, I got straight onto the top social services woman. Dad then got appointed a dedicated senior social worker who got things sorted. Her title is 'Care Home Liason Officer' I dont know if it would be the same in your authority. It has since turned out to be a good move, because she is now overseeing his transfer to a new home.

I do hope you get a positive response. Our loved ones deserve humane and compassionate treatment, it is their right. Unfortunately this government, do not seem to consider it a priority.
take care and well done Nancy!
hendy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm so sorry to read of the treatment (should say lack of treatment) that your mother and you as a family have experienced. Your letter is excellent! Now let's hope that you get some positive responses. If, as you have done, we do cause a fuss and demand that people pay attention, then we havwe done the best we can.

I do hope that you can get your mum the care she deserves. xxTinaT

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello Nancy

Your poor mum; it's such an horrendous story.

I look forward to seeing the reply from the MP.

x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Nancy

What appalling treatment. Like you I would be pushing for more action. If this was happening to our children it would be front page news yet why do our elderly have to put up with this treatment?

They deserve more.

I hope that you get some satisfaction.

Love

Mameeskye

NancyD

Mar 23, 2008
North east
I have sent a letter to the Prime Minister and David Cameron too because I believe my mother and all the old people in so called 'care homes' and 'nursing homes' deserve better treatment.
NancyD

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Nancy
Good for you!! Excellent job! You are absolutely right it is about your poor mum, and everybody else's mums and dads too.
We know about these things because it affects our loved ones directly, but we also know that it affects other patients as well. Someone's got to give them a voice too. In for a penny in for pound!
take care
hendy