I require feedback for a mobile application I am developing for Alzheimer patients.

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Hey guys, many thanks to you all for your input! It is really important to me! Can I just say that this project was part of an European initiative which aims to seek ideas for utilising technology to help those with memory disorders. The thinking is for the next generation who may suffer these illnesses, those who are accustomed to smartphone technology and could use it in general with no real problems.

I have done so much studying and the facts are always against what I can do with an application to help those with memory disorders walk destinations alone. But what about those who are in the early stages of Alzheimers, and still have good functionality, couldn't this be used by these patients? I definitely do think there would only be a very specific set of patients who would benefit from using such a device and application, and at least those could be helped right? But I am unsure if there are categories which patients come under which could be used to analyse whether a patient is a suitable candidate?

I have many reasons for wanting success, allowing the patient to get exercise, daylight and independence, can all help with depression and in some cases perhaps slow down memory deterioration, anything that can I help I want to promote by using this application.

I completely understand the concerns raised when allowing someone you care about to leave the house unattended fully dependant on technology which they themselves are in control of, my head is doing overtime trying to crack this. In the end if it cannot be done, then that is also successful outcome to my project, an unfortunate end of course, but I need the proof and reason why it cannot be done, without feedback I have no base to stand on as this is kind of a new territory.

Many thanks for all of your input once again!

Raymond

Hi Raymond
I was just thinking to myself how can technology be used to help people with dementia! I do agree with some comments about whether your research would be beneficial.

In your quest for data points can I share a story.

We recently upgraded from a Sky+ box to a new Sky+HD Box. With the old box even when a series was recorded when you went to your planner each programme was listed individually.

With the new box, the planner lists all the programmes under one heading such as Coronation St, or Eastenders. So you click on Corrie and then click again for all the recorded programmes under that title. I cannot tell you how difficult it has been to try an explain that she needs to press one more time to get to where she needs, find the list and scroll down. It has caused endless screaming and shouting and constant headaches. I hate Sky TV now. So yes growing up with Smart phones may be one thing, but when you have dementia, it doesn't matter how many smart phones you may have used. If you have to press a button one more time you may never get the app that you are trying to develop. Keep this in mind and best of luck

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Well Sunbell there are Talking Point members who have dementia who would totally disagree with your “examples” :mad: I can assure you not everyone with dementia is at risk or vulnerable or in anyway a danger to themselves or any one else , speaking from personal experience after being diagnosed with dementia myself in 1999

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Raymond, in my work I am coming across more and more people under the age of 65 with dementia. These people are usually physically fit. Any research, technology to help these people remain active, independent and safe has to be the way forward. As the numbers of people with dementia are only going to increase, more and more will be cared for in their communities, there will come a time when such technology is common use. We can`t keep all of these people in secure units, they have a right to be free, this is why an early diagnosis is so important for people with dementia to get down their advanced care preferences before these decisions are made for them by people who are too wrapped up in risk assessments and worried about being sued.
I wish you all the best with your research.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi Tony,

Just a question to satisfy my own curiosity really and you don't have to answer but would you find an application like this helpful do you think? I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and hope you are doing well. Please don't think I being all huffity in asking I'm just curious from a dementia sufferers point of view.

Sharon

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Sharon I fine thanks , obviously this would have to be something available to the person at the early stage of their dementia, unfortunately a lot of people get the diagnoses to late when in fact they possibly had the illness for several years , to answer your question yes I think this would be very helpful , I myself have an Iphone 4s which I find fairly easy to use having said that I found my mobile more difficult may be because the Iphone has a QWERTY key pad , whereas the mobile had 3 letters + a number , and Sharon I’m well known personally by quite a few Alzheimer’s Society personal and talking point members , sorry but my grammar isn’t very good
these days so hope you read it ok

Happy New Year Sharon
Tony

Sunbell

Jul 29, 2010
Yorkshire, England
Hi Tony,

Sorry if you disagreed with my comments and hope I haven't upset anyone as this certainly is not my intention, only commenting on facts which I have experienced with my mum as her AD has progressed. As you will know dementia comes in many forms and I was referring to AD which is what I commented about. I was trying to help the young man who posted to give him some insight for his studies as to what can, and is, happening to many sufferers. Merely my own view regarding happenings which have affected my family.

Glad you are able to use technology and may this long continue. All the best for 2013. Sunbell:)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Sunbell no problem I understand you were talking about someone your looking after, but as previously said by Danny there are a lot of young people with dementia still living a fairly normal life , I myself was diagnosed with dementia almost 13 years ago at age 57 and I continued working until my retirement age 65 and now almost 70 still try to keep active as I can , so hopefully you will understand why I replied nothing personal I assure you , were all friends here hopefully

Sunbell

Jul 29, 2010
Yorkshire, England
Of course we are all friends here on TP, we are all here for the same thing, to receive support and air our comments to try help each other. It is a life saver for a lot of people:)

I agree there are lots of people with AD/dementia out there living normal lives who are not at risk, not vulnerable and no danger to themselves and others and hopefully long may this continue for each and everyone of them. Surely though, or am I getting all this wrong?, they will not need to use technology to help keep them safe or to help them get from A to B etc. as there will be no risks or vulnerability involved. It is those as I said before who have lost their mental capacity to be safe when out alone who most probably cannot use anything technical, no matter how easy to use, who need the help of a carer to keep them safe and lead as normal a life as is possible.

Again, just my views and hope it helps deucalion0 with his studies. Sunbell:)

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Raymond, I am gutted not to be able to give you any positive ideas, but I don't want to deter you at all from your research, which is really innovative.

Somebody said we went to the moon, so why not we have some technology that helps our loved ones with this disease?

I find it intriguing, and whilst you might not solve the problems of all dementia sufferers, you might produce something that helps some - and that is far better than having no help at all.

Good luck with your research, and stick at it.

After all, Eddison had hundreds of goes at the light bulb before he found one that worked.

Love and best wishes

Margaret

Marina1974

Nov 26, 2011
Hi

My mum has a mobile phone which I gave her during the early stages of dementia, I regret it now because she misplaces it and then gets really upset. She also finds it hard to use it now even though the phone is a very basic one.