I remember her

eve67

Jan 23, 2015
Quite often now when watching tv, be it the news or something else my hubby will say he knows that person meaning that he knows them in real life. I think what he means is he knows someone that looks a little bit like them but cannot think where from - is this an alzheimers trait - at least it doesn't seem to be causing any probs at the moment as long as I don't probe too deeply as he'll get angry at loss of memory. Does anybody else's partner have similar experiences?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum does this. She says things like "I went to school with him". She thinks that the people on TV are talking directly to her and that things that happen on TV are happening in real life too.
Non-committal words ("thats nice") are best. You may find you will have to censor what he watches on TV if he starts to muddle it with real life.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Agreed, knowing people on TV, having owned half the things on Antiques Roadshow, been to places we've never visited it's all normal enough stuff.
K

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi. My husband occasionally says the same. Though not about people off the TV. But when we are out he will say to someone he knows them. They look puzzled. I apologise and tell them they look like a colleague he used to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Primrosevilla

Mar 16, 2015
Greater london/Essex
My husband too gets totally confused whilst watching something on tv. Just the other evening we were watching the latest Masterchef series. One of the chefs was making a tempered chocolate tube around acetate and the first trial one broke but he had made another. During this crucial moment my husband had to rush off to the toilet, on the way back he dashed into the kitchen to see how the chocolate tube had turned out because he imagined he was the one making it. (No, my husband does not cook).

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
The 'reality TV' thing has been going on a long time, but I've now noticed that since going into care my husband has started to say that he knows the people who are visiting other residents, may just be he's seen them come and go and thinks he should know them. It seems to be quite a common trait with dementia.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
My hubby has been talking to people on the TV for 2yrs, he thinks they are in the room, when Bruce Forsyth gave up Strictly, my hubby thought that they had asked him to take over the show, he was a friend of David Cameron, he would speak to him everytime he came on the news, he is now in a CH, they have great problems with him, they have to distract him away from the Tv's most of the day, no other residents have this problem, so Tv's are on all the time.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The 'reality TV' thing has been going on a long time, but I've now noticed that since going into care my husband has started to say that he knows the people who are visiting other residents, may just be he's seen them come and go and thinks he should know them. It seems to be quite a common trait with dementia.

Common trait indeed. John has just come out of a short hospital stay and insisted to visitors that many of the "guys" were people he'd known for years. Since most were comatose I wonder how he made the connection!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
It happens now and again with my Mil - a week or so back she spent a while telling me about how she used to go out with Todd Carthy (used to be in Eastenders) - but then he went and married a friend of hers instead :rolleyes: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham