1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. eve67

eve67 Registered User

Jan 23, 2015
    Quite often now when watching tv, be it the news or something else my hubby will say he knows that person meaning that he knows them in real life. I think what he means is he knows someone that looks a little bit like them but cannot think where from - is this an alzheimers trait - at least it doesn't seem to be causing any probs at the moment as long as I don't probe too deeply as he'll get angry at loss of memory. Does anybody else's partner have similar experiences?

2. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    I have no experience of this, but would certainly recommend a non-commital response to keep the peace.

3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Mum does this. She says things like "I went to school with him". She thinks that the people on TV are talking directly to her and that things that happen on TV are happening in real life too.
    Non-committal words ("thats nice") are best. You may find you will have to censor what he watches on TV if he starts to muddle it with real life.

4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Agreed, knowing people on TV, having owned half the things on Antiques Roadshow, been to places we've never visited it's all normal enough stuff.
    K

5. Diannie

Diannie Registered User

Jun 2, 2015
    Hi. My husband occasionally says the same. Though not about people off the TV. But when we are out he will say to someone he knows them. They look puzzled. I apologise and tell them they look like a colleague he used to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

6. Primrosevilla

Primrosevilla Registered User

Mar 16, 2015
    Greater london/Essex
    My husband too gets totally confused whilst watching something on tv. Just the other evening we were watching the latest Masterchef series. One of the chefs was making a tempered chocolate tube around acetate and the first trial one broke but he had made another. During this crucial moment my husband had to rush off to the toilet, on the way back he dashed into the kitchen to see how the chocolate tube had turned out because he imagined he was the one making it. (No, my husband does not cook).

7. Jinx

Jinx Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Pontypool
    The 'reality TV' thing has been going on a long time, but I've now noticed that since going into care my husband has started to say that he knows the people who are visiting other residents, may just be he's seen them come and go and thinks he should know them. It seems to be quite a common trait with dementia.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

8. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    My hubby has been talking to people on the TV for 2yrs, he thinks they are in the room, when Bruce Forsyth gave up Strictly, my hubby thought that they had asked him to take over the show, he was a friend of David Cameron, he would speak to him everytime he came on the news, he is now in a CH, they have great problems with him, they have to distract him away from the Tv's most of the day, no other residents have this problem, so Tv's are on all the time.

9. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Common trait indeed. John has just come out of a short hospital stay and insisted to visitors that many of the "guys" were people he'd known for years. Since most were comatose I wonder how he made the connection!

10. Ann Mac

Ann Mac Registered User

Oct 17, 2013
    It happens now and again with my Mil - a week or so back she spent a while telling me about how she used to go out with Todd Carthy (used to be in Eastenders) - but then he went and married a friend of hers instead :rolleyes: :D