I read your letter again today

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife was clutching and intermittently folding and refolding a piece of paper during my visit today. I didn't pay it any mind until she unfolded it and started to read some words out loud. It was a page from one of my weekly letters to her, in fact the one from her 80th birthday 2 weeks ago. I had always considered that at best the care staff would read the letters to her and perhaps comment on the photos included in each one. It seems that she might sometimes read them herself, although whether she takes any of it in is moot. It gave us something else to talk about than the number of buttons on the keypad for the lift or when she might be seeing her gran.

Once I could have shared these apt words of a favourite song with her too:

"I read your letter again today
Out loud and to myself
It gave me back my sanity
i didn't feel so alone"

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I too write weekly to my partner , I too hope that the carers read my letters and that on some level it helps him and he feels less alone
The nursing home where I volunteer makes a big event out of letters, reading and rereading them with residents. One resident receives letters from his wife that are illustrated with stickers and cut out pictures! It’s such a lift and the other residents can join in with the event. Warmest, Kindred.

nestle

Jul 22, 2016
Southwest but Yorkie by birth
That's good to know Kindred
I draw coloured flowers down the side of my letter in the hope he recognises that and knows its me.
I write words of reassurance and hope
I print articles from the news that he might be interested in.....he used to like documents
I also send a TV magazine that I have highlighted the programmes he might like
Its based on my past knowledge of him and of course because of the pandemic I'm not sure but I still do it because I hope it helps in some way, even if its just that moment of receiving 'post'

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
We had many holidays abroad and these give me a good source of photos and stories. There are also family and musical memories, as well as ordinary things that might spark some interest. The 'Pupdates' that I get about my sponsored Guide dog are another good source. I know that the staff read the letters out as they have told me how much they enjoy them. It also helps in their understanding of my wife. I like writing them too.