I need support

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Tina keeping quiet? :eek: Please explain the concept? :rolleyes::p:D

Sorry, Tina – but I believe in ‘credit where credit is due’ and I won’t be having lights under bushels and all that. Shout at me all you like! :p

We all know how many people read along (lurk) on TP .... who’s to know how many might be silently screaming ‘my mother’s/father’s/partner’s/auntie’s/nanna’s care home is under threat due to cuts – what do I do?’

You are inspirational, Tina ......

Now goes away again to keep drafting my ‘daft questions’ just in case there is a lull in proceedings tomorrow (which I very much doubt) and I need to dare speak up ....:rolleyes:

Love, Kaz, x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Tina , Just wanted to send you lots of Best Wishes & Good Luck for your "Radio Interveiw " & T V " Slot " am sure you will "Do Well " ...:D

Take Care & Best Wishes to you & Ken ( hope he is ok )

( Will we see you on T V via T P ? Hope So ! ! )

Love Grove x x

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Dear TinaT and Tinker Face

If I miss you at 7, I'll try to catch you after noon.

What time's the next 'thinking of you time' when you hand over your partition? (Sorry, this keyboard's spelling's awful - that should read petition!)

Can't imagine Tina being lost for a word or three, so Tinker Face you shouldn't need to fill any lulls, because there won't be any. You will all sail smoothly.

Just make sure you put your ..... red hats on! :)

:D

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dare, Karen? Please explain that concept!:D:rolleyes::D

Hazel – you should know by now how shy and retiring I am!!!!!!:p:D

OMG – JPG1- hadn’t even thought of what to wear :eek: .... been in ‘scruffs’ for the outdoor petition business – hope I ‘scrub up’ well!!!!!! :eek:

Are we helping, Tina? :rolleyes::D

Kaz - aka Tinker Wotsit! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Just to repeat what Karen has said,be carefull of Mr Beswick he used to be nice and then changed his style to be "Mr Nasty" take a stick with you!
Good luck,
John.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh dear - shot myself in the foot in the Alan Beswick interview. He very quickly picked up on my stupid and needless remark about modern trends to keep people in their own home and then I had to try to do a 'damage limitation' which took time away from main points I needed to get over.

Ah well - we live and learn and I won't make that mistake at lunchtime with the BBC local TV news people!

xxTinaT

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
You turned Mr B into a pussy-cat! :) And bravo getting such slots on the hourly news, too!

Confess at one point I was moved to tears – to even think of moving such poorly people as Ken is, well, unthinkable. Not much of an assurance from the Council statement so far ... ‘care of such vulnerable people is paramount’ huh? That’s not quite a ‘cast-iron’ promise about the homes, is it?

More work to be done yet, kiddo, but you have done marvellously to get thus far and the media coverage today ahead of the Public Meeting is just wonderful.

If you do get a minute to drop into TP today, Tina, hope you are pacing yourself.

Kaz, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Oopps – posts just crossed, Tina – you did splendidly. Mr B will always lead where he wants to go .... what you got across was the almost ‘impossibility’ of many people being able to be cared for at home ... where does the money come from for 24/7 carers at home, the adaptations needed etc etc etc ......???

It may not have been the main point you wanted to make ... but it was another valid point nonetheless.

This is one of the points I will be interested to hear responses to at the Public Meeting ... if the homes are not 'value for money' - what are the alternatives? And have any alternatives been assessed for 'value for money' in comparison? Methinks the sums have not been done .....;)

Love, Karen, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry I missed it Tina. I had Radio Manchester on from 5am but the phone rang just at the wrong time.
I will listen as soon as I can get catch up. Does that mean I have to wait till tomorrow.
I did hear you on the news clips though. :)

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Kaz - that's a brilliant question - please, please please voice it tonight!!!!

What are the alternatives?

- Care at home - with possibly an 80 or 90 year old partner doing the caring and other relatives living far away? Care at home with paid carers coming in now and again to look after an end stage dementia sufferer with their 24/7 needs? Hoists being used in a tiny one bedroomed home with a bathroom you couldn't swing a cat in?

- Private Care Homes - with the current track record of private care in my area of four private care homes threatened with closure because of the Southern Cross debarcle and one other care home in special measures and likely to be closed??

I think I'll add this to my speech for tonight - brilliant Kaz - just brilliant. Why didn't I think of this????

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I missed it too, Tina. Hope to catch up later.

It sounds as if the points you made are very valid. If Bolton is suspending admissions right left and centre, what on earth are they going to do with the many people who need constant supervision? Karen's right, they just haven't done their sums.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Well done, Tina. If you get another chance to “do Beswick”, he’ll be in the corner again! Seems to me he knows nothing of the problem – so you can floor him with your knowledge.

Agree with TF – what are the alternatives? And who is to fund any alternatives that may come about?

Private care home? Too expensive, even now. Some private care home providers (PM me if you want names!!) are moving towards self-funders only! They may be opening new c/hs but they are now for self-funders only.

Care in the home? Not a feasible option for mature people with mature relatives. What about those people who have no home/spouse/partner/family to return to? Sheltered housing without wardens on site are the norm now, so they can’t be considered, and the extra-care sh/housing outfits that exist are totally unsuitable for people with dementia. Who will provide all the adaptations required, and what would be the timescale? People will die waiting for them to come about.

The Big Society with a bunch of volunteers providing care in the community? Or a new breed of ‘carers’, all doing community service in lieu of prison sentences? No thanks!

Where will the District Nurses and similar teams all come from, visiting people in their own homes?

The mind boggles.

Have a good meeting tonight!!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Brilliant, Danny! Talk about last minute cramming!!!!!:rolleyes:

I’m going to wade thru’ again and see if I can pull out some quotes ... reference to the APPG might lend some weight? Another of my concerns is that any ‘dispersal’ (sorry, that’s a clumsy word) of these residents would have an adverse affect on NHS budgets in various ways (more individual visits required by staff/potential hospitalisations etc) ..... that’s certainly backed up as a ‘no-no’ in this report .... (obviously primary concern is the welfare of the residents but if the challenge is around finance then that’s what we have to throw back?)

Any more ideas from anyone please keep them coming – I will be dipping in and out of TP through the day while Tina has the Northwest media captive ;) and take along any more ideas for her if she doesn’t get chance to look in herself.

Love, Karen, x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Tina , With many kind Thanks to JGP 1 putting the "Radio Link " on heard you this Morning :) Think you gave that Beswick :eek: Man a tough time Tina ! You put your "Points " across very clearly ...... Agreeded with you Tina

WELL DONE TINA .... Another point for you & Ken ..... shame Beswick did have the Care Chairman in from the Town Hall ( the person you talked to with your Son & a few other Resident 's family's .... sorry for got his name ) Would have made for a "Proper Debate " then about keeping the Homes open !

Hope your "T V " Slot went well

Sending much Love & Support to you & your Campaign & Ken also :)

Love Grove x x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Just watched Tina and Ken on North West Tonight. Good piece, but as always on news programmes time is too limited to really explore the issues. Well done Tina on your tireless campaigning, which is really starting to gain impetus.

This is a link (I hope) to the radio interview this morning (about 1 hr 17 mins in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00jvwwr/Beswick_at_Breakfast_30_08_2011/

And can I just say, it takes something special to make me listen to Alan Beswick! ;)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just listened to the radio interview. Well done Tina. An excellent interview and I thought you dealt with the question about home care very well indeed.

Good luck for tonight. xx