I need some help and advice regarding my mum's recent stay in hospital

Lancastrian

Aug 20, 2013
Hi

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in June 2012 - she had certainly been showing signs and symptoms well before this time, but she had cancelled various appointments with the memory clinic and I was the last to be informed.

My father passed away in April 2012 and a care package was put in place straightaway - 4 times a day - until she was admitted to a residential/respite home as an emergency admission - she remained here until being transferred to be closer to me.

I received a phone call from the home where she is around 2 weeks ago, informing me that she had had to go to hospital that morning at 4am - I was informed at 7.45am.
She was still in A & E when I arrived, and the Dr had been to take bloods. Then soon after she was transferred to MAU (medical assessment unit), where they had to repeat the bloods as the first lot had clotted.

The following day the consultant came round and said that her haemoglobin levels had dropped considerably from when she was first admitted, and she would need 3 pints of blood transfused that day. It took the Drs 5 attempts to take blood from her as her blood pressure had dropped and her veins were closing down, but eventually they had everything they needed. That night however she removed her cannula's after only receiving half of the requested amount of blood - but at least it was something. The following day she had a gastroscopy (camera down the throat) to ascertain where the bleeding was coming from ( I fought quite hard for the consultant to agree to do this, as she was saying that it may be kinder to leave her be due to the alzheimers - but I did'nt agree). After the camera test, the consultant came to me and said that she had located a small ulcer in her duodenum, but the duodenum was distorted and she said that the likelihood was that she had external pressure coming from outside of the duodenum causing this distortion. She advised a CT scan to be booked for a couple of days time. Then 2 days later another consultant came round and as soon as he stepped in the room he advised against the CT scan being done, due to her being more settled and in her best interests due to the diagnosis of alzheimers - so she was discharged with the tablets prescribed for the ulcer treatment.

I have been going over and over this consultants decision since then - and also what would be best for my mum - as I felt that he had made his clinical decision before entering the room and not taken the time to listen to myself - as next of kin and also what my mum would like. I have phoned up the medical practice today - where my mum is registered and asked to have a telephone appointment, as I have since spoken to my mum - and fully explained the CT scan and having sedation to remain as still and settled as possible during the procedure - and she was fine with this (even though now she won't remember this conversation taking place). I am after advice regarding what to do if the GP refuses to take this matter further - the rights of my mum and myself - as next of kin - and also what added risks could there possibly be due to the alzheimers?? If they find cancer (which the consultant queried could be a pancreatic lesion) then I need to be fully informed as to where to take it from there, but the unknowing is worse than being prepared and knowing the diagnosis.

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
It makes me so cross when diagnosis/treatment are dismissed because of dementia! There may be very, very good reasons not to do things, but you shouldn't be left feeling the way you have been.

You are right that you need to know what could be going on, or at least if they are not going to investigate a proper explanation why. They could let you stay in the room with your mum when she has her scan, help keep her calm. I know there is sometimes a decision not to treat additional complications, but that is different to getting a diagnosis in the first place which is important (i think).

I don't know what your/your mum's rights are - hoping others here on TP may be able to advise

Hoping GP is understanding

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am sorry your mum was treated in such a way it must be very upsetting,

When I was at the hospital with my husband I was told that I as the next of kin had no rights and as Allen was diagnosed with Dementia the consultant would decide what was best for him,

Last edited:

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Hate to say this but after mums recent hospital stay I felt we were railroaded. Mum was just an Alzhiemers patient, and as such not really worth treating.

I had to question and challenge alot of her treatment, she came out of hospital so much worse than when she went in :( Gutted

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
well my husband has been treated differently. The consultants all want him to have treatment, but we are saying no. When I say we I mean me and my husband.

He has always been a believer in letting nature take its course unless there is pain, and I have kept to this.

Only recently after another PSA test for prostate cancer our new GP wanted to discuss treatment. I explained to him and so it has now been dropped.

So it does not happen everywhere.

Jeannette