I Need Some Advice???

Spidey

Oct 27, 2007
Plymouth
Hi,

I hope i'm doing this right as it's my first time on the forum.

I need some help and advice regarding my Dad, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 3 years ago. In the past couple of months my fiancee and I have bought a house with my dad so we can look after him 24/7. He has his own living room/kitchen and bedroom so he still has some independence.
I would say he is in the middle stages of Alzheimer's but these last couple of weeks he has taken a real turn for the worse, the simple things that he use to be able to do for himself i.e turn the television on and change the channel has just gone from him. I have recently had his eye's tested and he now has new glasses, which I thought may improve the situation because he was struggling to see what he was doing, but it hasn't. My dad has lost the get up and go in him and I find it really hard to motivate him and find simple activities for him to do and enjoy. Any Ideas???
He has a CPN and a OT and they are trying to find him a day centre to attend, as his OT won't be with him much longer, but no day centre's exist in Plymouth for someone like my Dad, as he is only 64.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Spidey, welcome to TP.

You and your fiancee really have done well for your father, making a home for him.

The lack of provision for younger people with Alzheimers is becoming quite a problem. Have you contacted your local AS branch, at;

County House
12-13 Sussex Street
Plymouth
PL1 2HR
Telephone 01752 255399
Fax 01752 301876

Email plymouthalzheimers@yahoo.com
Website http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Plymouth

Someone there might have some idea of any available provision.

As for ideas to motivate..............well my husband was diagnosed two years ago and I`m finding it really difficult too.
He is losing the ability to use the remote controls, and find the right channels on TV. I now go through all the programmes I think he might like, with him. The problem is, he either forgets the programmes I show him and opts for the last one, or has lost the ability to make a choice. Do you think this might be the case with your father.?

The clocks go back tonight so we have darker, winter days ahead. This is going to pose even more problems.

I hope your local AS can help you.

Please post with an update if you manage to find anything, and accept the support of TP.

Take care xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Spidey,
My husband was diagnised with A.D. when he was 58. He is now 62 and in a Care Home. The points you have made about your Father, Peter went down that track. new glasses did not help either. What I use to do as Peter was unable to work T.V. radio, anything.... so I got a large selection of D.V.D.'s and played those for him as he was quite happy watching them. Your fiancee and yourself seem to be so caring and doing the right things but there comes a time when we at least expect it that they near more help. Does your Father like comedy or music ? Do you have a S.W. ?
I wish you all the best. Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Spidey and welcome to TP

My mother didn't have AD (strokes caused her dementia) but she too lost the ability to use such things as remote controls, and even after new glasses it was clear that although she could read with effort, the connection between the eyes and the brain was fairly non-functional. Even listening to recorded books was too much for her, and these had always been a favourite pastime, even before the strokes.

Also, of course, a change in location can really highlight deficeits that may well have existed before, but become more obvious.

No practical help, I'm afraid, I just wanted to let you know that what you are experiencing is oh so familiar.

Spidey

Oct 27, 2007
Plymouth
Thank you all for your replies and links.

Yes, to be honest I don't think he really care's what channel the TV is on, as long as he can sit and watch it. It is so hard to know what to do for the best for him, as at the moment he is still aware that he can't remember how to do things and gets increasingly frustrated with himself. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines with this type of illness so I don't know if what i'm doing is the best for him. I don't make a big deal out of anything that he forgets or does wrong. I found him crying the other day when he couldn't turn his TV down, I played it down, but it is just heart breaking to see him like that. It is terrible that in this day and age there isn't more for people with Alzheimer's. I'm glad i'm not the only one in this predicament, and can share this with people who know what it's like.
Does anyone know if you can buy adult colouring books or adult puzzles which is less than 200 pieces?

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
hi, Wilkinsons do colouring books with more adult themes. My mam was never a painter but I have been getting her those big canvases that come with a picture on that you paint in. A bit like a grown ups paint by numbers without the numbers!! She needed a lot of help to mix the colours until I realised that the colours didn't bother her! They bothered me (anally retentive me). It's all about the process after all and my mam loves it. Give it a try. Good luck.