1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

    Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

    Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

I need advice

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Philpsie, Jul 7, 2018.

  1. Philpsie

    Philpsie Registered User

    Jan 6, 2016
    my husband has just had a financial assessment, it is good for many people that they don’t take the spouses income into account but for me I’m only a part time worker so both my husbands pensions and my wage are needed to run the house. I’ve just had the verdict today that says he must pay £131 pounds a week. They have put our current account down as savings but it’s only a current account and it was all based on the amount being in there but it was the beginning of the month so there was more than usual. I can’t breath at the thought of paying all this. If he gets awarded the highest attendance allowance I still have to find £70 a week, £50 for the contribution and £20 for the cleaner they advised I get! Of course I get the letter on a Saturday and I can’t ring anyone. It says this will come into effect as soon as the services are used. He’s just about to go into respite care so it will lock me into this payment. Should I refuse the respite? I have no one to talk to and I’m having to act like nothings wrong in front of my husband. Please is there any financial or practical advice out there?
  2. marionq

    marionq Registered User

    Apr 24, 2013
    Is the current account in both names? If so they are only allowed to count half of that. You also have a good argument that it is a constantly changing figure because of bills being paid from it. Put it in writing to them.
  3. karaokePete

    karaokePete Volunteer Host

    Jul 23, 2017
    I would phone the experts on the help line, details as follows, as I understand they are very good

    National Dementia Helpline
    0300 222 11 22
    Our helpline advisers are here for you.
    Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
  4. Philpsie

    Philpsie Registered User

    Jan 6, 2016
  5. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

    Dec 15, 2012
    hi @Philpsie
    I am sure that I've seen somewhere in the guidance to LAs that they must ensure that the spouse/household are not left unable to pay for everyday necessities (sorry can't find it at the mo)
    have you looked into applying for Attendance Allowance - it is not means tested, anyone who qualifies on need will receive it
    when that is in place contact your Council to apply for a disregard of Council Tax re your husband so that he pays nothing and if you are the only 2 in the property, you will then be assessed as a single occupier
    there's also Carer's Allowance but only if you earn below £115 a week (I think that's the figure) - but worth looking into
    maybe have a chat with CAB as they may well be able to advise you
    I wonder if it would be worth having separate current accounts for your income to be paid into and then each of you move a sum each month that is half of all bills ie utilities, house insurance, house maintenance, food, items for the house eg cleaning products (though your husband should pay more if he is now requiring more eg washing of bedding) - needn't be exact just a sensible amount to cover the regular monthly expenses, leaving each of you to pay for your own particular expenses
    certainly question the basis of the assessment - the amount in a current account is not savings, and only half of any joint savings should be part of the financial assessment - you could send a letter and e-mail stating that you are only accepting having to pay for the respite on the understanding that the financial assessment isn't accurate
  6. Philpsie

    Philpsie Registered User

    Jan 6, 2016
    Ok will do, it’s so hard to hide all this from my husband but I can write it out on my tablet. X

Share This Page