I need advice on this one

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I do feel hurt by his acussations,maybe its because i am a bit sensitive at the minute with dads assessment.

any job with the public is hard when taking they ranting and ravening at you , I've work with the public and have had to take it , only when they start swearing , are they are told to leave .

So with your own feeling about your father , no wonder your taking it more personnel, when all your doing is your job .

that must be hard to learn , to switch of your own emotion from your personnel life when you enter work .

I know with my daughter studying to be a social worker she getting training in how to do that ., so she not take it home with her.

I do feel hurt by his accusation,

Don't be they his issue not your

Last edited:

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Craft

Hi everyone,just had a good giggle.I phoned mum to see how she and dad are today.Mum was laughing so much she couldn't tell my why.After 5 minutes she composed herself.Of course i couldn't wait to hear what the joke was.She said dad was sitting in his chair this afternoon looking very pensive.She asked him if he was ok,he said yes i'm just having a craft day!Mum said oh right,whats that? He said Cant
Remember
A
Flipping
Thing

Mum didn't get it at first ,then it clicked.I have never heard this one before has anyone else? I like it,just don't know where dad got it from.love elainex:)

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Beckyjan,I thought so too! Where on earth has he got it from? I am a bit bemused.Tell you something,thats one i will use at work tomorrow.lol.love elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
hi joanne,dad always was a CRAFTY sod,I won't settle til someone tells me its a well known saying.Otherwise i will think he isn't ill at all!joking apart,i love him to bits,so glad he made mum laugh today it was wonderful to hear it .take care out there.love elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
This has kept a smile on my face since i spoke to mum.i wonder are there any others out there who come up with acronyms and suffer ffrom alzheimer's.i would love to hear from them if there are.love elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Yet another verbal onslaught

Hi everyone,the consultant came to see my resident today to do the mini mental test.Their daughter attended and i knew as soon as she walked in the building we were heading for something.Her face was like thunder.Anyway the test was done and the score was 20.The daughter hit the roof!She didn't want to be in the room when the test was done and so has accused me of "swaying" the consultant.Like i could!She said everything documented in the care plan regards their parents behaviour was all lies.I sat and took it AGAIN and then asked the question."Why do you not want your parent to have the best care possible which meets their needs?"She said she didn't want them moved because our home was convenient for them to visit.Understandable i know,but at the end of the day its their parents needs that need to be met,not theirs.I wouldn't mind but the area we are in has quite a few homes that could accommodate their parent and give the care they deserve.I so feel for the family,its such a difficult time accepting this horrible disease.Sorry if i sometimes sound hard and unfeeling it's just that i see this a lot and that has helped me accept dads problems.love elainex

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
elaineo2 said:
Sorry if i sometimes sound hard and unfeeling it's just that i see this a lot and that has helped me accept dads problems.

Elaine, you certainly don't sound hard and unfeeling.

You are caring for your parents, as well as doing the best you can for the residents of your care home. I certainly hope that when the time comes someone will care as much about John's welfare as you do about your residents.

Love,

springtime

Apr 25, 2007
Milton Keynes
Why client needs to change homes

Dear Elaineo, Just logged onto site and picked up your story, so felt I must reply. Sometimes it is very difficult to support the client and the family at the same time. You feel that the client will receive better care somewhere else, but will they? If all care homes had a reasonable number of staff, lets say 1:5 then staff could give the time to care. I believe that staff do not not need special training to care for people with Dementia, OK lets educate staff on what dementia is and how it can affect their ability to communicate their needs. What people with Dementia need is caring, sensitive people, staff that will treat them with dignity and respect and give them time.
I am sorry that the family have treated you with so little respect. Where is your Manager? The family probably feel that they do not want to move their Mother. Perhaps they looked at many homes before deciding where she should live. Moving Mother could cause her confusion to get worse. Perhaps some members of the family are finding the whole situation to difficult to cope with. Or maybe they have difficulties in their own lives to contend with. Or perhaps they are not happy people!
Do the family get any support from the local Alzheimer's Society Support Group? I have found (being a facilitator for 5 years) that the support from other carers can be immense. Can you point them in the right direction?
Do not allow families to treat you with disrepect, Elaineo. You are doing a splendid job, caring can be very draining, physically and emotionally. I know because I have been a paid carer for 16 years. I also take my hat off to those family carers, caring 24/7 - because I don't know how you do it!! I hope your care home appreciates your caring and honest qualities. You are doing a grand job!!

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Skye,I do care,i love to care and will continue to care till its my turn to be looked after.Its just a shame families bury their heads in the sand.I am tempted in cases like today to point them towards T.P.Whereby an admission of their situation would be met with such good advice,as it would in our home.Its the admission thats the bug bare.I found this site because i was pulling my hair out with mums ongoing moaning of what dads done,din't do,said etc.I don't think mum liked to admit he had a problem but I took over and got the assessment sorted.No moaning now,she actually said to me today that she is learning to be patient with him.Thats an admission in itself for me.Theres support out there and here its just having the balls to access it.love elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi springtime,thanks for your post.The home i work in is a residential home and the ratio of carers to residents is 1:10.The home is not liscensed for demantia care and the comapany i work for will not have it dual-banded because they have nursing and dementia care units in some of our other homes.I disagree with what you say about staff not needing special training.I have recently been on a 5 day dementia care course,provided by the company to give residential care staff an insight as to what care is needed.My word!was i astounded.Like you said the ratio of staff and residents is lower and therfore provides more one to one needs.I was also unaware that dementia sufferers don't see things that are white.This explained why when some dementia sufferers try to use the toilet miss and do it on the floor.I could talk about this all night.Having knowledge of the disease still doesn't give our home a licence to deal with it.Its a crying shame because i love them all,dementia or not.thanks again elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
I can't believe this

Hi all,i know its late but i can't believe work has just called for me to go in tomorrow because there is some dispute about the case i previously posted about.They want a meetimg tomorrow at 11am.Am i being unjust in thinking i am on annual leave and am not in work till Thursday?Its no emergency on my part,things don't move without my being there.Am i being unjust?love elainex

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No I don't think you are Elaine. It's unreasonable to ecpect you to drop everything and turn up - they wouldn't have been able to ask you if you'd been away now would they? The problem is: even though this is a totally unreasonable request, some employers are totally unreasonable and will make your life difficult. Only you know what they will do if you don't go.

Love

jennifer

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Thanks jennifer,I did think i may be being unreasonable,but at the end of the day i have taken this time off to be with the kids.And without sounding uncaring I am not the one who is "on call".I feel so guilty saying no,but my kids come first whatever the scenario.thanks again elainex.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good point from Jennifer, Elaine. If you`d gone away on holiday for the duration of your annual leave, no-one would have contacted you.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi everyone,The kids and I went to see mum and dad today after our little jaunt to London.Mum said he had been worrying where we were because we hadn't been to see them.She reminded him that we were in London to watch the rugby final at least a million times(mums words).On saturday she reminded him again and asked if he wanted to watch the match on T.V.He said yes and they both settled to watch it.Mum said he sat with his eyes glued to the telly but didn't seem to be actually watching it.At half time he sat back in his chair and said to himself "what are the odds i wonder".mum asked what he was on about and he said " I just wonder what the odds are of me seeing elaine and the kids on telly today".It turns out he was watching for us and not the match.bless.love elainex