I miss the person he was..

misscrypticrose

Apr 30, 2019
I keep feeling panicky because I feel like I'm forgetting who my Grandad was before Alzheimer's. In the future I don't want to remember him for just his Alzheimer's. Not sure if that makes any sense. Even though hes here i still miss him incredibly.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Even though hes here i still miss him incredibly.
Yes of course you do, @misscrypticrose, it is normal for the territory.

I think that the good memories will come back. At the moment you are too caught up in the present situation, but after he is gone you will be able to remember again. At least, that is what has happened to me, my mum died 2 years ago, but I can now remember what she was like before dementia.

misscrypticrose

Apr 30, 2019
Yes of course you do, @misscrypticrose, it is normal for the territory.

I think that the good memories will come back. At the moment you are too caught up in the present situation, but after he is gone you will be able to remember again. At least, that is what has happened to me, my mum died 2 years ago, but I can now remember what she was like before dementia.

thankyou for the kind message x

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
It's hard to see past the present and how he is now because you are dealing with it all the time but all the lovely happy memories will come back you can be sure of it. X

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Every now and again a song or a piece of music will spark a happier memory. My OH has her moments of clarity and humour where I remember who she is behind the confusion. I hope you can find those moments, however fleeting, and treasure them @misscrypticrose.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
When I was looking after my Mum who had AD I said to one of my friends how I hoped I didn’t just remember her as she was with dementia. At the time, coping with the dementia was all I thought about. Mum passed away just over 2 months ago and all the good memories have come flooding back. This started when we were preparing for her funeral and writing about her life and it was very therapeutic. Although dementia will always be part of Mum’s life it is certainly not the only thing I think about and looking through old photos brings back thoughts of lots of happier times.