I love her so much

p34nut5

Apr 17, 2008
southampton hants
Hello,

I am so distraught. Mum has been in hospital for over 2 months for assesment for the Alzheimer's, especially for the paranoia she experiences. She's on Galantamine for her memory which does seem to help, but the doctors just don't seem to find the right medication for the psychosis. My brother and I have just had her home for the weekend and it was very very difficult to deal with the psychotic ideas she has ie she thinks all food and drink is contminated and that she is dirty and that she is contagious to us, that going to the toilet is a filthy thing which means that she has become unclean etc etc. She is also extreamley frightened a lot of the time which is very difficult to witness as there'a nothing we can do to help her fear. She is proving to be very sensitive to anti-psychotics and the most recent one has been stopped to the over-sedating effect it had on her.

I am distraught now. I want her to stop the frightened feelings and paranoia. I love her so so much.

Sue

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Sue,
I feel for you, I love my Mum so very much.
My hubby has the problem's.
If I could take them all away I would:)
Other's will come on line to offer help. Keep strong:)
Love Barb & Ron X

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Mom had the paranoia. Not to the extent that you talk of, but she had the problem with foods, medicines, and bathing. Her anxiety was not relieved by medications but by something very simple. When mom still had her senses of who I was I moved her in with me. Her anxieties lapsed over time as she came to know and trust me as her carer. I hate to say it, but sometimes it takes drastic measures and not medicine. I know others have had medicines relieve, so I do hope it gets easier.

HUGS

Nancy

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
It's a horrid horrid situation. Big squeeze of the hand down the ether! Two thoughts for you, one perhaps immediately useful, the other more an idea for people to start thinking about.

1. Don't be shy about pushing the doctors to try different meds or combinations of meds. Many doctors are very good about this, but my sense is that some can be pretty unimaginative.

2. These awful bouts of distress, or paranoia, or agitation are in my view quite analagous to severe physical suffering. While we are waiting for a wonderdrug to cure/halt dementias, could some bright pharma team not develop a REALLY effective anti-psychotic designed specifically as a palliative treatment in dementia. (As opposed to something meant to help "curable" psychotic symptoms). It would be really interesting to hear feedback on this.

Good luck, Foxhound

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Foxhound

You're pushing against an open door here with those thoughts! :cool:

Many of us here have come to terms with the fact that dementia is a one way journey for our loved ones, and that "palliative care" to relieve various distressing symptoms is the best we can hope for, short of a miracle cure.

Sue: the only comfort I can offer - and it's not much! - is that most phases do pass, to be replaced by something else. My sympathies on your Mum's distress (and therefore your own).