I live with dementia

Lorinn

Jun 22, 2022
Hello everyone, I just discovered this forum and wonder if it is appropriate for me to contribute. I have dementia, was diagnosed in 2011. Pretty sure it’s not Alzheimer’s because of the length of time. It has progressed slowly but surely. I would appreciate someone replying so I don’t blunder my way into the wrong place.?

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
It's late, so there won't be too many replies, so mine might have do until folk wake up. :)

IT is absolutely appropriate for you to contribute! There are a few other folk on here who've also been "fortunate" enough to have dementias which seem to stabilise, or deteriorate very slowly. And there's a section for folk with dementia to post. You don't have to use it specifically, but I think it's useful to have because sometimes it can probably be distressing in the other sections where -- due to the very nature of this tough disease -- it's mainly us carers who talk.

Some of us can sometimes come across as a bit impatient or exhausted and unsympathetic, but we're all on Team S*d Dementia, and in general everyone tries to be supportive and helpful. I try to stick to "if you've nothing good to say, say nothing" which is why I don't post very often! But when I got Mum up this morning I said "Hello Margaret" and she opened her eyes and said "Hallo" back. Which is very, very, very, unusual, and very, very, very wonderful! So today has been a good day.

Well, apart from the creaky old dog pooing on the carpet... again. But you can't have everything in life, can you? And if she keeps this up, soon all the bleached patches will join together and the carpet will look like new! :)

Mmm... I think I'd better shut up before I put you off.

Welcome!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Lorin.

You`ve done so well after being diagnosed in 2011. Long may this continue.

Now you have introduced yourself in exactly the right place, please start your own Thread in the section I have dementia, which is here.

This will help you get the support you need and keep all your replies in one place.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello @Lorrin, I hope you will post again. I didn't know it was possible for dementia to progress that slowly. Weren't you told at the time of diagnosis what type of dementia you have? Would like to know how you are managing and how it affects your daily life.

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
It's late, so there won't be too many replies, so mine might have do until folk wake up. :)

IT is absolutely appropriate for you to contribute! There are a few other folk on here who've also been "fortunate" enough to have dementias which seem to stabilise, or deteriorate very slowly. And there's a section for folk with dementia to post. You don't have to use it specifically, but I think it's useful to have because sometimes it can probably be distressing in the other sections where -- due to the very nature of this tough disease -- it's mainly us carers who talk.

Some of us can sometimes come across as a bit impatient or exhausted and unsympathetic, but we're all on Team S*d Dementia, and in general everyone tries to be supportive and helpful. I try to stick to "if you've nothing good to say, say nothing" which is why I don't post very often! But when I got Mum up this morning I said "Hello Margaret" and she opened her eyes and said "Hallo" back. Which is very, very, very, unusual, and very, very, very wonderful! So today has been a good day.

Well, apart from the creaky old dog pooing on the carpet... again. But you can't have everything in life, can you? And if she keeps this up, soon all the bleached patches will join together and the carpet will look like new! :)

Mmm... I think I'd better shut up before I put you off.

Welcome!
Thank you Andrew for replying to this - you said just what I would have liked to say. You put it beautifullly with a bit of humour thrown in.
And welcome to Lorrin - thank you for posting - it is important for us carers to hear from wonderful people like you who carry on with life after a life changing diagnosis so thank you.