I hope nobody minds me asking this question...

vampwillow

Apr 1, 2008
Lincolnshire
I am a care worker and the home I presently work for is going to change at some point in the near future to caring for older people with alzheimers and dementia.It hasn't been made clear to us as of yet whether it's a longterm care only or just respite or both.

My question is what would you like to see offered and what do you think the best questions would be for the care team to ask to determine the best level of care for your loved one?

Also if you have already been through this whether for longterm care or respite is there something you feel should have been asked and wasn't?

Thanks for reading

Vamp xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I hope that you will ask for good, quality training.

I hope that you will see each person in your care as an individual who has lived a full and worthwhile life which has been blighted by this disease.

I hope that you will show kindness and compassion.

I hope that you keep a kindly sense of humour which will see you through the day and keep a smile on your face.

I hope that you will enjoy your job and be proud of the very important work which you will be doing.

I hope that you will look on relatives, partners etc., as still being an important part of the 'caring' for the individual. They still love and care deeply for the resident you are looking after on their behalf.

I hope that your fellow workers will also have an abundance of all of these things.

Thank you for asking our thoughts. By doing so you have already shown that you want to work with a 'person centred' approach and I wish you well in your new role.
xxTinaT

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you will never forget that the people in your care are/were someone`s mother/father, husband/wife, grandmother/grandfather, brother/sister, and treat them as you would wish your own to be treated.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
All of the above..and nothing personal..

But after reading some of the posts today I hope that you and your fellow workers will not only read the answers..
And share them..

Please ensure that you act on them...:)

love gigi xx

vampwillow

Apr 1, 2008
Lincolnshire
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.I hope that I can be the type of person that someone would feel happy allowing to care for their loved one.Although I have been doing this job for the past 8 years,I still feel I have a lot to learn and my employers are very good with their training which for once makes a damn good change.

I want to help to create a home and extended family with the proper training for the people we are going to care for including their families as I truly believe that that is not always offered within some establishments.

I guess for the moment it's easier to ask here rather than at work as it is not my place to ask being as I am quite far down the chain although our thoughts are taken in to account.I would just like to be able to offer the level of care I could only wish that all care homes would offer and have care staff understand that they are integral to the well being of the people they are caring for and to be able to step back and allow the personto do what they can do rather than as I have previously seen being taken over by care staff in a hurry.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
That's encouraging, Vampwillow,

I wish you good luck in your career..and many thanks for taking the time to do some research..hope it pays off in the future..for you and for those that you care for.

Best wishes..:)

Love gigi xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I want to help to create a home and extended family .....

When I begin to believe I can find that Utopian place for my mother which might meet her emotional needs as well as concerns about her safety and physical health ...... I might dare to look at - and even persuade her about - options for residential care ....

Well done you for having the vision .....:)

Karen, x

ishard

Jul 10, 2007
Id like you to be a voice and advocate for people who cannot articulate for themselves.
If you see something you think is wrong then do something about it dont just accept its part of his/her care. If you wouldnt like something then neither would the patients.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi vampwillow

Thank you for asking the question, it's so important to us. None of us want to see our loved ones in care. It breaks my heart that I can no longer look after my husband at home.

Tina has already made the points I would wish to make, I'd stress training, staffing levels, and stimulation. Consideration for the family also helps.

My thread 'Worried about John' documents his first six months in care, and might give you some insight. The last part in particular shows what can go wrong in a normally well-run home.

Good luck,

ishard

Jul 10, 2007
What we really need to show Vamp is that list we did a few weeks ago, it has all our hopes and wants on it.

judyjudy

Mar 19, 2008
west sussex
person centred training - soooooooo important

Hi there
The staff in my mother's NH are all 'taught' to treat the residents as if they are their own parents so... result = happy residents (as far as poss), happy staff AND happy relatives secure in knowledge that loved ones are safe/well cared for.
Judy

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
I feel reassured already because you are asking the question and obviously have the desire to become the best you can. Thank you.

Maybe it will be a difficult road for you as I know from my sister, who works in a nursing home, how difficult it can be for those near the bottom rung of the ladder. She fought but it wore her out. I think if she'd known about this site she might have got more support herself to carry on the fight for good practice.

Perhaps you could use this site yourself if ever you need encouragement and support.

Very best wishes

Helen

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hi Vampwillow,

Thank you so much for caring enough to get opinions from all of us at T.P. I think everyone has made really important points and I'd like to add a couple.
Try and find, from somewhere deep inside an endless amount of patience. Some will require much more than others, but don't hold that against them. Never presume 'They don't know anyway' it may seem like that sometimes, but believe me when I say they're aware of more than you think.
I'm sure the field you're about to go in to, will at times, be rather daunting.I know you'll be great at it, because you care, and in time I'm sure you'll find it very rewarding. I wish you all the luck in the world. x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Vampwillow

I hope we haven't frightened you off with all our demands.

I accept that carers are human, they have their off days and their moans about authority, just like the rest of us.

What I'd like you to remember is that we carers have spent long years caring for our loved ones, and they are only in care because it has become impossible for one person to look after their needs. We could not go home and forget when our shift was over. We are stressed and exhausted, and having our loved ones in care does not ease the stress or the exhaustion.

We get upset if we see them being neglected. This may manifest itself in anger, or floods of tears. I blew up in fury last week, then collapsed in tears, and have cried on and off ever since. I understand why the carers were angry, but I cannot forgive their taking out their anger on a defenceless patient.

Please, treat the patients as your own, and find time to care for the families too.

vampwillow

Apr 1, 2008
Lincolnshire
Hi Vampwillow

I hope we haven't frightened you off with all our demands.

I accept that carers are human, they have their off days and their moans about authority, just like the rest of us.

What I'd like you to remember is that we carers have spent long years caring for our loved ones, and they are only in care because it has become impossible for one person to look after their needs. We could not go home and forget when our shift was over. We are stressed and exhausted, and having our loved ones in care does not ease the stress or the exhaustion.

We get upset if we see them being neglected. This may manifest itself in anger, or floods of tears. I blew up in fury last week, then collapsed in tears, and have cried on and off ever since. I understand why the carers were angry, but I cannot forgive their taking out their anger on a defenceless patient.

Please, treat the patients as your own, and find time to care for the families too.

You haven't scared me off at all,infact I am very grateful for everyones input and for you all taking time out to answer my question.

I have read your thread and I am personally horrified at John being left in that condition it is inexcusable,the people we care for are not to be used as pawns in proving a point to employers.

A couple of posts on this thread have really touched me I personally hope that there are more homes out there liek the one I work for being as we are council owned we do recieve more training and also more support.For the first time in my 8 years of caring I have found a home that I don't feel like I am not listened to nor do I feel that the people we care for aren't looked after properly or at least to the best of our abilities.(I know that sounds like I am blowing my own trumpet but my mum is suprised she hasn't yet got a call of me either crying or being livid about something that isn't being done or is being done but not properly).

I maybe a rare carer but particularly if a client we are caring for isn't well I find myself having to restrain myself from ringing to see whether they are ok as sometimes I can't settle if they are really unwell.:eek:

Which is why I asked these questions I was just wanting to know what the nearest and dearest really wanted for their loved ones that due to various circumstances it becomes unfeasable to care for them at home.There's no point me second guessing what you would all like it's much easier to just ask.