I haven’t seen this before

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.My dad walks with a gutter frame.For the last 2 years he has only walked in the morning with the carers and in the evening with them.He now has also started to walk lunch time and tea with me.So he has gone from four times a day to up to eight times a day.But he is also getting very irritated with me and is starting to lose patience .He has had a stroke in 2017 and was diagnosed in 2016 with vascular dementia.He talks perfectly well apart from his repetitive questions.Could he have progressed?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Dementia is a progressive disease and progression is inevitable. If its a sudden change, though, it is worth considering and checking for an infection.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @TNJJ
I guess if your dad is wanting to use his frame more, rather than walk without it, he may be feeling less steady and want the support and reassurance from using the walking frame ... which does sound like a part of the progression

I agree; if you are concerned, and if there any other symptoms alongside this, have a chat with your dad's GP ... if nothing else, it will keep the GP fully in the picture

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Some people with dementia seem to develop a walking compulsion. Whether they are trying to find someone/something or trying to 'get away' from their confusion I have no idea, but it is quite common. Some continue, with others it can be a temporary phase.

But together with your father's growing irritation it could suggest a progression of his dementia or, as others have said, an infection. My mum wanders more at night when she has a UTI, generally looking for dead relatives.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you everyone.Today he struggling and is a lot quieter.Plus he is yawning a lot more.Looks like he wore himself out over the last few days.