I have written a story about dementia

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I decided to join a creative writing group to get me out and I am really enjoying it
This months title was 'Lost'
I have written a story about a photographer who has dementia;)
I am enjoying doing this
Last month I made my debut with a story based on the characters in Cluedo
we get a different challenge every month
I am looking forward to going next week but I still need to come up with a title for the story.
Today I have been quite confused I couldn't work out how to put on my thermal leggings under my trousers but I got there in the end and had a walk but I went a bit wrong but I got home in the end!

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
That is very niceDo you find that sometimes you are not able to write so much? I do. And sometimes difficult to read more that 1-3 sentences.
I hope your writing wins!!!

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I find reading quite difficult to hold the story in my head
I have joined a book club on the estate where we are moving to but I have yto read the story at the last minute otherwise I have no recollection of what it is about!:eek:

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
random words?

I find reading quite difficult to hold the story in my head
I have joined a book club on the estate where we are moving to but I have yto read the story at the last minute otherwise I have no recollection of what it is about!:eek:

hey sarah & april. do you ever go back the next day over what you wrote and find various random words in it. is this another bit of the dementia or am i just losing my ability to write due to age during the week i did a little bit of a write up as reflection on the week but when i read it back words were there that did not fit. they were correct words just used incorrectly. can still make sense of the sentence but have to use word association at times???

wayne

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Sarah - your creative writing group sounds great! I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

Years ago, I also joined a group like this. One of the first tasks we as beginners were given was that we all had to think of a town, a famous person, and an object. All these were written on scraps of paper and put into a box, and we took turns in pulling them out. We then had to write a story based on what we'd pulled out.

I had to write a story about Mary Queen of Scots, Whitby, a ring, and Donny Osmond :eek:

It was great fun!

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Sarah - your creative writing group sounds great! I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

Years ago, I also joined a group like this. One of the first tasks we as beginners were given was that we all had to think of a town, a famous person, and an object. All these were written on scraps of paper and put into a box, and we took turns in pulling them out. We then had to write a story based on what we'd pulled out.

I had to write a story about Mary Queen of Scots, Whitby, a ring, and Donny Osmond :eek:

It was great fun!

wow that souds challenging! Do tell us more;)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
It was challenging, but I managed it in the end!

Basically, Mary's ship, travelling from France, was forced to dock at Whitby en route to Edinburgh, because of a storm, where she was given a silver and jet ring by a peddlar woman. The ring was later dropped and forgotten. Cut to over 400 years later, and Donny Osmond was playing in Edinburgh and bought the same old ring from a jeweller as a memento of his stay in the city, although he was told the ring was nothing to do with Scotland. Little did he know!

I'd love to hear about the story you've written, Sarah - do tell!

Last edited:

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
Right this second it is very difficult for me to push word bits toward my fingers. The words are there, but it's like a sense of hesitancy comes over me. I'm not certain how to start. I find that right now I am struggling. This occurs frequently now, although my last post was so long that even after an hour's worth of editing, it was too wordy. I just couldn't stop writing. It seemed had to hurry to get every little jot and tittle in there before I lost the thoughts. I don't know if that's ADD, OCD, dementia or a combination, but it's not the me of me. There was something I wanted to add here, but it flashed out of my mind.

I would love to just sit down and write..anything. A story or just an email to a friend, without this start-stop, trudging through wet cement thing going on. Or having to go back a dozen times to read what I wrote because I lost the point of it all.

Writing short fiction would be a good thing I think--especially when I find myself talking out loud to myself and others who aren't there about non-sense things and imaginary circumstances that seem really real at the time... If I could just remember to write them down......:rolleyes:

Thanks to you for sharing. LoisJean

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Bless you Lois
I struggle esp as I never could type
My tsory is finished except for the title!
I think I may call it 'The Narrowing Aperture'
but I am not totally sure
Thank God for spell check!
Sarah

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
You can do it. Write just a little at a time when you can. You can still do anything you want-just not as quickly. Hold on. It can happen.
Keep on. Don't stop.