I have live in care for 54 year old husband

Fenton12

Dec 19, 2014
I am not self-funding but funded by social services, I have a CHC application going through at the moment. Live in care is not often talked about but if anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to help. Carers have been living here since last October. Social Services like it because it is cheaper than putting him in a care home!

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I don't see why it is cheaper. In a care home they would have one carer on minimum wage looking after a number of patients (say 6), so how can that be more expensive than one-on-one care. I don't understand the logistics. I suspect you are right but it doesn't make sense.

Is your live-in care 24 hours? I think if the carer has to get up during the night then the costs increase. Also what about moving the caree (I presume they are quite mobile and can even get dressed), will it require two carers at some point or do they rely on equipment (hoists, wheelchairs etc)?

I expect it is good to have the loved one stay at home but space is needed for the carer and they would need certain facilities (wet room...perhaps?). So perhaps it isn't for everyone.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm quite shocked that SS are prepared to help fund this. I've always understood that the most the SS/LA will support is 4 visits a day.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
£7.20 x 24 = £172.80

£172.80 x 7 = £1209.60

Must have top price nursing homes where you live- its certainly not cheaper.

How did you manage to achieve this funding when most of us have to fight for 4 x 15 mins a day?

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Could it be because the gentleman is only 54 and many homes are not registered for under 60s so placements in residential care might be limited and possibly more expensive?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Could it be because the gentleman is only 54 and many homes are not registered for under 60s so placements in residential care might be limited and possibly more expensive?

Posssibly. be nice though if everyone had this option, given that no two PWD follow the same route at the same pace