I have just been diagnosed and need help.

mc70

Jun 18, 2022
I have just been diagnosed with dementia within the last 2 days and I need help and information

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum.

I’m so sorry to read about your diagnosis. I’m also so glad you have found this forum. You will get lot of understanding and support here.

I wondered if you would find this helpful -

m0j0r1s1n

Jun 16, 2022
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm new to the group but as a carer for my father. At present I have been in contact with a Dementia Navigator who has put me in touch with local support groups for my father to attend (and myself). Also have a meeting arranged for an informal chat about life in general and a meeting where they will come to my parents home for a chat.
The Navigator is really helpful from my brief encounter. If you have not been told of this and are in the U.K I would contact who diagnosed you and inquire about it, they seem to be really helpful. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gavin.

Last edited by a moderator:

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
I am really sorry to hear this for you - but firstly from purely a financial point of view you will need to get lasting power of attorney resolved check on web, benefits Personal Independence Payment contact the DWP - but Citizens Advice will help and also contact Social Services wherever you live and register with Join Dementia research if you wish to pursue that avenue - I know this will take time to comprehend but my advice would be get everything in order asap so then you do not have to worry later on. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the arrival of a representative of Alzheimer's Society and of an Admiral Nurse, who have been wonderful sources of help and guidance to me, the visits were triggered by the memory clinic at the same time they advised me and my GP of my diagnosis, is this not the same for everyone?

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the arrival of a representative of Alzheimer's Society and of an Admiral Nurse, who have been wonderful sources of help and guidance to me, the visits were triggered by the memory clinic at the same time they advised me and my GP of my diagnosis, is this not the same for everyone?
No. It varies a great deal from one NHS Trust to another. There were no Admiral nurses in our area and it was a different charity - not AS - who had the local contract for carer support.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
@mc70 I was diagnosed over 4 years ago. You have received good advice here plus a link via @Izzy .

My advice would be to grab every day and do something YOU want to do whilst you can. I wrote out a wish list and a ****it bucket - the latter for putting things into that were no longer important etc.

There will be local groups available for you - if you tell us which county we can help with that. You will find support patchy or non existent from professionals (they do not know what to do with us.) SO fight your corner and shout loudly for support. That is how it works I am afraid.

Keep posting and asking questions. There are one or two of us on here with this unenviable diagnosis - but remember each and every one of us is different.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
I like your idea of a ***it bucket, I've been wondering what to do with all my long running moans, I haven't liked to just delete them from my todo list.
I have also kept a daily journal for many years on computer, and having learnt that my memories will be lost roughly chronologically, I've started going through them highlighting those I can still recall (visualise), an exercise I plan to repeat annually, highlighting in a different colour each year.
I have done/am doing the same for people and places
And am planning on doing it for all the photographs of people with dates.
Partly to chart the 'progress', partly in the hope of extending/refreshing the memories by recalling them.