I have had severe Covid and now pressure to look after husband who is still in respite . I need help

Furrykat

Sep 18, 2016
Cheshire
I have been in hospital for over 3 months with severe post Covid complications and nearly died. I am now home. I am Sole Carer for my husband who has vascular dementia. He’s been in respite since I went into hospital. I have had Carers helping me since I came out of hospital but am now being pressured to have him home. I cannot look after myself let alone him. I feel so sad aboutthesituation but don’t know what to do and my brain can’t cope with it. I really need some help with this whole thing. What can I do ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Furrykat.

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds as if there is no way yiou could care for your husband just now. Who is pressurising you to have him home? As you have carers for yourself just now I‘m thinking you must have a care manager for yourself and I’d imagine there must be a care manager for your husband. Make it clear to them both that you cannot care for your husband. You are vulnerable and so is he. They have a duty of care to both of you.

It might help to call the Dementia Connect Support Line and talk things though with them. They are open today from 10am to 4pm.

I’m glad you have found this forum and I know you will get lots of understanding and support here. Keep positing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR