I have had enough

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Lack of Empathy - such a common experience for us on TP - hard to manage this at times when a wee hug from hubby would mean so much to me

Sorry to hear you lost your partner a month ago Blueboy. I can picture the scene you describe with your mum ..... faeces etc - caring for hubby I deal with this too - the fact that it bothers him not a jot often reduces me to tears.

poster

Dec 28, 2011
Lack of Empathy - such a common experience for us on TP - hard to manage this at times when a wee hug from hubby would mean so much to me

Sorry to hear you lost your partner a month ago Blueboy. I can picture the scene you describe with your mum ..... faeces etc - caring for hubby I deal with this too - the fact that it bothers him not a jot often reduces me to tears.

:( keep strong

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
Lack of empathy

Thanks. The more I hear about how it affects the person the more I understand. I did not realise that dementia people have a lack of empathy. I certainly do now! I think part of my problem is that my mum is not as bad as some people who do not recognise their own family etc. I think I should learn more about the disease and then I wont get so upset when my mum doesn't behave properly. There are various stages of dementia and my mum is in the early stages. My mum lives in a care home and laughs and jokes and makes coherent conversation with the staff and likes to listen to music and read poetry books. (in her young years she wrote poetry as a hobby). I thought if she can still do all that and understand the poetry she is reading I fooled myself into thinking she was ok. One of her other problems and I think this is dementia related, is that she has no empathy for others in her care home. She worked as a school teacher and was university educated. A lot of the other people in her care home had jobs in shops or cleaning or cooking. There is nothing wrong with that. My mum will not talk to them because she feels superior due to her education and job and feels they cannot converse with her in an intelligent way. She therefore isolates herself and tells me she is superior to them. I myself have friends from all walks of life doing all kinds of jobs. One of my closest friends serves in a shop and as far as I am concerned whats more important is that she gets up and does an honest days work for an honest days pay and works hard. It doesn't matter to me that she is not a doctor or a solicitor etc or has been to university. Whats more important to me is her kindness. My mum is a snob. She cant help it its part of her illness and now I realise I don't expect very much more

Parts of this email were so familiar I did wonder for a moment if you and I shared the same mother.

People's dementia can exaggerate the less attractive parts of their personality so you may find yourself grappling with all sorts of emotions you have repressed throughout your life as you see your Mum stripped bare of all pretense. This can be devastating as it is hard enough dealing with the present when you have a parent with dementia that you have very little energy left to deal with festering resentments from your past also.

The head of Mum's care home explained to me that lack of empathy is associated with dementia. My mother was never very loving or empathetic at the best of times and now she has mild dementia it is as though she has stopped making an effort at all to care about other people. She is also a snob who won't speak to other residents in the care home because they are "barmy". This is obviously difficult to witness in anyone but particularly hard in your own mother.

I sometimes have been so upset by my mother's behavior that I have wanted to turn to someone for comfort. The little girl in me wants my "Mummy" to comfort me but it is my mummy who is making me so unhappy. This is the thing that has broken my heart over and over again.

After three years of this I have come to understand the following:
- that my mother has nothing to give me and that I just need to accept it. Anything I do get from her (a few happy moments together, a happy memory shared) is a delightful bonus
- that learning to care for her and expect nothing in return is actually quite liberating. For the first time in my life there is no risk of Mum disappointing me because I expect nothing from her
- that if I think of her as a batty old lady I visit in her care home regularly then I can actually enjoy her company quite a bit (she still has a ferocious sense of humour)
- that I can use my humour to challenge her when she it too unpleasant (so when she says things like "Why should I bother to sign that Xmas card for my carer?" I can say "So she might actually think you are a nice person". Mum says "You're horrible to me". We both laugh. And she signs the card.)

I also recognize that there are some times when I am just too vulnerable to visit my Mum. A few weeks ago I lost control completely when I was with her and just sat on her bed and cried. I had had a really bad week at work and when I went to visit my Mum I realized I had absolutely no patience for her constant demands and neediness. She became really worried as I started crying and stroked me and tried to comfort me. It made me so sad to see how helpless she felt that I apologized for my loss of control and explained I had to leave.

It was really liberating to realize that, on the days when I can't cope with Mum, I can just walk away. Those of us with our parent's in care homes have this extraordinary freedom to walk away when we are not able to cope - we just need to allow ourselves to do this without guilt.

This is a long journey and we need to pace ourselves. But in the process we can learn a lot about ourselves too and that can be really valuable.

I don't know if you have children. I don't and one of the reason I don't is the example of motherhood my mother set me. So, when people said "you must be her parent now" I thought "But I never wanted to be a parent".

Then I thought about what my mother had done for me as a child - how she was always 100% reliable and how she took care of all the practical aspects of my life even if she couldn't show me love in the way I needed. And then I realized I would be a mother to my mother in the way she had taught me to be a mother.

So I administer her life very professionally - spend a huge amount of time taking care of the financial and medical side of her life - and work with her carers to make sure she is being very well cared for. Anything I give her by way of genuine love and compassion is a bonus and a pleasure. Whatever else I know I have fulfilled my responsibility to her in the way that she always fulfilled her responsibility to me.

I wish you all the best.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
ChloeE, I wanted to thank you for your post. I'll need to come back and read it at a time when I've got a bit more energy (I have administrative/medical/paperwork/financial things I must deal with for my mother today) but I wanted to say, THANK YOU.

I know exactly what you're saying but hadn't been able to articulate it as clearly as you did.

I'm another person who doesn't have children and in some (large?) part this is due to, as you say, the example of parenting my mother showed me. I mostly don't tell people that, as they tend to not understand.

So I wanted to say that you really struck a chord, your post was very helpful, and thank you.

OlKlein

Mar 10, 2015
I agree, it is the disease and you should not take it personally. I had my grandma be very rude to me when I was taking care of her and it used to make me very sad but then I realized that it is a result of the disease and not really her. On good days she is like she used to be and very nice. I cherish those days.

poster

Dec 28, 2011
Parts of this email were so familiar I did wonder for a moment if you and I shared the same mother.

People's dementia can exaggerate the less attractive parts of their personality so you may find yourself grappling with all sorts of emotions you have repressed throughout your life as you see your Mum stripped bare of all pretense. This can be devastating as it is hard enough dealing with the present when you have a parent with dementia that you have very little energy left to deal with festering resentments from your past also.

The head of Mum's care home explained to me that lack of empathy is associated with dementia. My mother was never very loving or empathetic at the best of times and now she has mild dementia it is as though she has stopped making an effort at all to care about other people. She is also a snob who won't speak to other residents in the care home because they are "barmy". This is obviously difficult to witness in anyone but particularly hard in your own mother.

I sometimes have been so upset by my mother's behavior that I have wanted to turn to someone for comfort. The little girl in me wants my "Mummy" to comfort me but it is my mummy who is making me so unhappy. This is the thing that has broken my heart over and over again.

After three years of this I have come to understand the following:
- that my mother has nothing to give me and that I just need to accept it. Anything I do get from her (a few happy moments together, a happy memory shared) is a delightful bonus
- that learning to care for her and expect nothing in return is actually quite liberating. For the first time in my life there is no risk of Mum disappointing me because I expect nothing from her
- that if I think of her as a batty old lady I visit in her care home regularly then I can actually enjoy her company quite a bit (she still has a ferocious sense of humour)
- that I can use my humour to challenge her when she it too unpleasant (so when she says things like "Why should I bother to sign that Xmas card for my carer?" I can say "So she might actually think you are a nice person". Mum says "You're horrible to me". We both laugh. And she signs the card.)

I also recognize that there are some times when I am just too vulnerable to visit my Mum. A few weeks ago I lost control completely when I was with her and just sat on her bed and cried. I had had a really bad week at work and when I went to visit my Mum I realized I had absolutely no patience for her constant demands and neediness. She became really worried as I started crying and stroked me and tried to comfort me. It made me so sad to see how helpless she felt that I apologized for my loss of control and explained I had to leave.

It was really liberating to realize that, on the days when I can't cope with Mum, I can just walk away. Those of us with our parent's in care homes have this extraordinary freedom to walk away when we are not able to cope - we just need to allow ourselves to do this without guilt.

This is a long journey and we need to pace ourselves. But in the process we can learn a lot about ourselves too and that can be really valuable.

I don't know if you have children. I don't and one of the reason I don't is the example of motherhood my mother set me. So, when people said "you must be her parent now" I thought "But I never wanted to be a parent".

Then I thought about what my mother had done for me as a child - how she was always 100% reliable and how she took care of all the practical aspects of my life even if she couldn't show me love in the way I needed. And then I realized I would be a mother to my mother in the way she had taught me to be a mother.

So I administer her life very professionally - spend a huge amount of time taking care of the financial and medical side of her life - and work with her carers to make sure she is being very well cared for. Anything I give her by way of genuine love and compassion is a bonus and a pleasure. Whatever else I know I have fulfilled my responsibility to her in the way that she always fulfilled her responsibility to me.

I wish you all the best.

Yes your post is very similar to me and my mum and me. My mum has nothing to give me and the problem why I get frustrated is I look for things from her. Since my accident she has been asking me how things are going re my recovery so she is interested in that and that is nice. It is nice so see her care enough to enquire and when I say how things are going she says very good. I think deep down she wants me to get better and do well and it is times like this I sit and think yes she is behaving like a normal mother caring for her daughter. Other time she says to me she owes me nothing and her days of showing concern for me are gone because she has done it years ago and now that she is old and unwell, its my turn to care for her and she does not have to do the mummy job like I am a child anymore. She has a point because really our parents care for us and bring us up to the best way they can and then when their duty is done and we are on the road in our own lives having been taught things from our parents to get us on that road, then we repay them by caring for them in their old age.

poster

Dec 28, 2011
After feeling good that my mum is supporting me over my accident, she went back a step today. I spoke to her and she asked how I was and things have been stressful today trying to get the things I need sorting out sorted. She asked how I was and I said not too bad, which I think is not too bad to say. My mum replied "That's what you always say" so I said well I am no better or worse than yesterday. She did not like that. She expected me to be on top of the world. I have a broken bone in my leg, and the painkillers are giving me constipation and I have been told that unless I take laxatives regularly, I am likely to get painful piles. (sorry for the crude words here). I did not go into all that with my mum because she would not be able to take it in and I do not think she would be sympathetic. Her sympathy was short lived but I don't mind because I have good friends and that's all I need really.