I have a question for you regarding seating

Arthur of Yorkshire

Nov 15, 2017
In a nutshell, my company manufacture chairs and all kinds of seating for use in hospitals, nursing and residential homes the length and breadth of the UK.
I have been told that dementia sufferers prefer bright coloured, plain fabrics with contrasting upholstery piping so seating can be identified.
Speaking as someone who's godmother developed dementia in her latter years if this is the case, I would like to develop seating which may be of practical use to sufferers.
Please could you confirm that this is the case?
In anticipation, many thanks.
Arthur

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, pattern is often misinterpreted as holes or something attached to the surface of the material. When mum sat in a chair with patterned upholstery she would often try and pick the pattern off the arms of the chair. Black/dark colours are seen as holes and white things seem to disappear. Red is the colour easiest to see.

I like the idea of having contrasting coloured piping as it will make the edges of the seat easier to see.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Arthur of Yorkshire
good to know that you are thinking about your products and how they suit their users
I think this is a fairly standard type (not 'selling' just using as an example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morecombe-...1_43?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1510753708&sr=1-43
and dull colours or ones that fade into the background aren't helpful, though I can understand that having bright orange all around may be rather 'loud' - but dad can't 'see' his chair a lot of the time so bright is good
I can only really talk about what I've noticed with my dad
he finds it hard to notice the chair, so primary colours are good and I too like the idea of showing the edges of the chair especially the edge of the seat - dad is missing this sometimes when he tries to sit down - is there any way, without making a hard edge which is uncomfortable to have him able to feel where the seat begins
it also helped dad when he had a riser/recliner which had wooden hand holds proud of the arms (I can't find an eg at the mo) as they were prominent and he could actually grasp them - the ends of the arms do tend to be back from the edge of the seat and that's harder to reach and safely grasp when putting a hand behind you to sit down, in fact some ends of arms are rounded and slippy
material is important - dad had too many accidents in his lovely recliner so it's had to be jettisoned - so it's important to have a thoroughly waterproof and leakproof cover to the seat cushions so that and any accidents don't go through the surface upholstery or at least an easily removed cover and one washable at high temperatures
I guess that's why most in care homes are of the plastic type material, which is easily cleaned but not particularly pleasant to sit on
watching dad use his chairs, the high back with slight wings are good, so his head doesn't flop when he's tired, and he sometimes needs an air cushion, so the chair has to be able to take that comfortably
when I sit in some of the care home chairs, I find them far too upright, I'd prefer a slight angling back - as some residents slip down them to try to get comfy it'll be tricky to get the angle right - and the seat does need to be quite high so make getting in and out easier - not good to be sinking down low
just some thought

Arthur of Yorkshire

Nov 15, 2017
I am indebted to Nitram for the suggestion as to where I should look for information regarding designing furniture for dementia suffers, to Canary for information on colours and patterns and to Shedrech for a wealth of information from "hands on" experience - what I say to you all is thank you! You have helped me no end.
I am very lucky having a talented "computer man" who has managed to colour some chairs digitally and put contrasting piping on them - they are not perfect but as good as we can make them at present. In truth I believe that the colours need to be more vivid so when we come to making them I will take all you say into account. Please have a look at the attached uploaded file - you will see how we are progressing with your help. Many thanks for the moment - give me some time to manufacture the chairs and I will be back! Arthur.

Attachments

• Talking Point Chairs.jpg
    Talking Point Chairs.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 417

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Please have a look at the attached uploaded file - you will see how we are progressing with your help. Many thanks for the moment - give me some time to manufacture the chairs and I will be back!

Before you manufacture any think about where they are to be used, the upholstery colour should contrast against the floor/wall colour.
As I previously inferred people with visuospatial problems can have difficulty in judging distance, a colour contrast helps show that there is something different. Maybe the piping could be increased in size.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh they are nice looking chairs. I know that they are a bit "old fashioned" in style, but TBH I expect that this is the sort of style they will remember from their younger days and they look very practical. The only problem that I can see is that many people who have mobility problems need an air cushion to prevent pressure sores which needs to be plugged in and there is nowhere for the lead to go; most of the chairs in care homes have a gap under the arms that the lead can be threaded through.You dont want to put the lead at the front as it would be a trip hazard.
Are you going to offer the chairs for sale in those colours? I do like them. As nitram says, which colour will be best will depend on the decor of the room, so if people have a choice that is all to the good.

mjw1304

Oct 9, 2017
Textured arms would also be good. Mum has chosen "her chair" in the home she is in as she likes the feel of the pattern on the arms. It's a light brown plain velour so no visual confusion but it has a raised diamond pattern which she spends ages feeling Nd running her fingertips round.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN