I have a problem

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
My mum has not eaten properly for about 5 weeks. Just the odd spoonful of a dinner, small bite of sandwich, half a yoghurt and sometimes choc biscuits. The reablement team have been giving her alot of toast and jam (its quick) and sugary tea. After a recent blood test her blood sugars were found to be high 10.8 and we are awaiting a further fasting test. In the meantime what do I do? If we cut out the sweet stuff she wont eat, in fact it was the sweet stuff that was keeping her going. Her weight is dropping and she is sleeping quite heavily in the afternoon. Can she eat fruit, grapes, cherries, peaches? The GP said give her healthy food but I cannot be there all day as I work full time and the RT do not have the time! Should I get different Carers? :(

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi Flake.........yes there are many threads on here re dementia suffers eating nothing but sweet stuff it seems to be just one of those things..........IMO as long as they are eating something at least try not to worry too much, it is the drinking I find more difficult to get mater and OH to do...........water not G+T's that is my tipple

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
These issues are so difficult Flake particularly when you're not always around. I give Sue industrial quantities of fruit before each meal and it is excellent in combatting her constipation. So I think the benefits outweigh any harm in terms of sugar. But I usually avoid giving her any sweet things apart from the fruit so her sugar levels are probably OK.

If your mum cannot be persuaded to eat anything that's not sweet have you ever tried artificial sweeteners? I know they don't all taste great and can produce other problems but it might be worth experimenting.

Surely the reablement team have some responsibilities here, given the recent blood sugar test? What is their view? Not much point in reabling someone and giving them diabetes at the same time.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
These issues are so difficult Flake particularly when you're not always around. I give Sue industrial quantities of fruit before each meal and it is excellent in combatting her constipation. So I think the benefits outweigh any harm in terms of sugar. But I usually avoid giving her any sweet things apart from the fruit so her sugar levels are probably OK.

If your mum cannot be persuaded to eat anything that's not sweet have you ever tried artificial sweeteners? I know they don't all taste great and can produce other problems but it might be worth experimenting.

Surely the reablement team have some responsibilities here, given the recent blood sugar test? What is their view? Not much point in reabling someone and giving them diabetes at the same time.

I bought sweeteners/sugar substitute yesterday and gave her a egg/potato salad followed by strawberries and small amount of jelly after which she ate (she must have been desperate for something other than a sandwich) she then drank a hot milk (the coffee has been hidden!?) with a sweetener in. Mum refused any breakfast/drink at first RT call although had her meds. The Carer came back at lunch time and said she had been worried.(?) I have done nothing but complain to RT some staff are good and others not. Some seem to reed the notes and others just carry on regardless until the notes get on their system! Im going round again today at lunch time and will give her something 'proper'. Thank you for your reply xx

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Hi Flake.........yes there are many threads on here re dementia suffers eating nothing but sweet stuff it seems to be just one of those things..........IMO as long as they are eating something at least try not to worry too much, it is the drinking I find more difficult to get mater and OH to do...........water not G+T's that is my tipple

Thanks Patsy. I have read alot about diabetes (many of the sites say about missing insulin etc but not what happens with dementia) so I read many threads on here which has been so helpful. Im just going with the flow now. I will just do my best, cut out the cakes, sweets and biscuits and rely on natural and healthy foods. Its just getting the Reablement Team to do the same in their time squeezed half hour slots (including travel time). :mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman