I hate mondays part 2!!!

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Have been awake since 3am and up since 5am. Mum was shouting (as she always does) but this time she was complaining of a pain in her chest! I gave her indigestion tablets but everytime we ask her about the pain, its either gone or wasnt there at all or is in a different place!. Shes gone to day care today but now im worried in case its serious. I hope the day centre phone for an ambulance if it gets worse, do u think they will, not sure if they would do that? Any advise please

Amber 3

Feb 4, 2015
South Devon
Have been awake since 3am and up since 5am. Mum was shouting (as she always does) but this time she was complaining of a pain in her chest! I gave her indigestion tablets but everytime we ask her about the pain, its either gone or wasnt there at all or is in a different place!. Shes gone to day care today but now im worried in case its serious. I hope the day centre phone for an ambulance if it gets worse, do u think they will, not sure if they would do that? Any advise please

Hi Chelsea girl,
Sorry you are having so much stress and so little sleep, (I know the feeling !!) I am sure that if the staff at the day centre thought there were any serious concerns they would act on it. More than their jobs worth not to !! Try not to worry...

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015

Hi CG,

Don't worry. I am sure the day care centre will call for medical assistance if it's needed. That's part of their job.

My dad suffers a lot from chest pains. His dementia has progressed to the stage where he isn't able to explain how he feels, but can only rub his chest and make noises like he is in pain. At first my mum used to call the ambulance, but it was always okay. The paramedics said it was nothing serious, probably trapped wind, indigestion or discomfort when trying to swallow food and drink. Now she still worries, but she has pretty much got used to it and gives him water to sip until he feels better.

I hope that will reassure you, but on the other hand, your mum isn't my dad, so you'll need to judge for yourself if medical assistance is needed in her case. If she can still explain how she feels, then it will hopefully be easier for you.

But the golden rule is if in doubt, call the ambulance. Better to be safe than sorry where chest pains are concerned. As you say, the CH should keep an eye on your mum and seek medical attention if they think it is necessary.

All the best,

LS

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I dont like mondays part 2

When mum came home from day centre on monday she was in a wheelchair because she couldnt hold herself up and she was still complaining of chest pains so we rang an ambulance. She had a uti that was making her chest hurt! And she was admitted to hospital for intravenis antibiotics. She wasnt keen on this idea and when we left her at 11.30 she was screaming and showing off. Well she was kept in hospital for less than 24hrs when we got a call to say she was on her way home. When she arrived she had on one of those open backed nightie things and her cardigan! No dignity for her at all, poor mum. She also caught her leg on the step from the ambulance and cut herself. Hope it can only get better!!

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi C.G.

Your poor mum and you!

Oh well, at least she is home now and you know that the chest pains were nothing serious.

I've posted a lot on here about the sometimes appalling treatment my dad has had when he's been admitted to regular hospitals for chest infections. To be fair, the regular hospitals don't have enough staff or staff with the right training to deal with dementia patients, so in my experience the environment has been dangerous and upsetting for my dad and he too was treated with a total lack of dignity. It seems to be that they want the dementia patients to be sent home as soon as possible, which I suppose from their point of view makes life a hell of a lot easier for them. They see them as annoying and something of a joke.

Hope your mum feels more settled now.

LS

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I dont like mondays part 2

Thank u LS. She seems much brighter today altho we r going to have to get the nurse to come in and dress her leg. We tried this morning and she screamed blue murder that we were hurting her and deliberately too!!. The strain of everything is affecting my marriage now, my husband helps out as much as he can but inevitably we end up rowing and not talking to each other! It feels like our lives are on hold, everything revolves round mum, organising an evening out is like a military operation! Nothing is spontaneous any more. Feel pretty low at the moment. Sorry x

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Thank u LS. She seems much brighter today altho we r going to have to get the nurse to come in and dress her leg. We tried this morning and she screamed blue murder that we were hurting her and deliberately too!!. The strain of everything is affecting my marriage now, my husband helps out as much as he can but inevitably we end up rowing and not talking to each other! It feels like our lives are on hold, everything revolves round mum, organising an evening out is like a military operation! Nothing is spontaneous any more. Feel pretty low at the moment. Sorry x

It sounds to me like you need to admit that you need some help. Do you have any carers? If not please contact your GP and social work and ask for an assessment to be made even if one was done in the past. I defies logic that they don't routinely assess dementia sufferers as it is a disease that can only get worse. Everything is a fight. For your own health and for the sake of your marriage please make them listen. Sending you strength and letting you know we are all behind you.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
It sounds to me like you need to admit that you need some help. Do you have any carers? If not please contact your GP and social work and ask for an assessment to be made even if one was done in the past. I defies logic that they don't routinely assess dementia sufferers as it is a disease that can only get worse. Everything is a fight. For your own health and for the sake of your marriage please make them listen. Sending you strength and letting you know we are all behind you.
Aw thanks quilty, it means a lot to know ur all behind me! We r due our assessment update in october but mite speak to ss before then. Feel trapped at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts