I hate dementia

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Dementia is horrible and I really hate it!

Mum has accidentally defrosted the freezer again along with the contents. Its easy to do, just flick a switch, except because it's not the first time I'd covered the switch with a heavy duty tape, to stop her, but it didn't, she still managed to switch it off. Mum has no idea how much waste that is, it just didn't register. Hate, hate, hate this illness, I cannot watch her 24/7 so back to the drawing board on keeping her fingers off the switch!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum used to do this and after trying all kinds of things I had to buy a small freezer and put it in the locked garage. Not ideal for convenience and a drain on the little money we have, but so much was wasted that I could not cook and freeze. At the same time she was also switching off or unplugging everything. That was a year ago and recently some of this unplugging behaviour has returned.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Thanks Loveahug and Tin

Honestly I need eyes on the back of my head sometimes. Dementia definitely getting the better of me today.

The plug cover is definitely worth the investment, mum will hate it as she won't see a need, but throwing out food through a flick of a switch is frustrating and expensive.

Mum has been making me smile this afternoon, she's given her closest friend who is heading for 80 new career as a money lender. She's telling me how regularly M lends to people in their pensioners club. Not remotely possibly as M doesn't go to "the club" and I doubt she'd be the type to lend money anyway. I've no idea how she's conjured the idea up, but not worth disputing. She is also convinced that M was married to her own father. So jumbled up, but scarily normal now.