I forget family member's first names and many other people at my church too

shirl38//

Oct 23, 2015
USA, Ohio
Hello,
I am a senior, I turn 65 in mid January. My father had Alzheimer's. He spent the last five years of his life in a nursing home. He lived a long life till age 93.
I was at my sister in law's house today, and two of her great grandchildren were there, and I could not remember the one's first name. I felt baffled, and I was sitting there trying to think of it, and I could not remember and then I was trying to think of the first letter in her name. I thought of letter P and I still could not remember and then all of the sudden, the name Paige came to mind. Her first name is Paige. The same thing happened at a funeral about a month and a half ago. One of the family members on my husband's side of the family, I could not remember her husband's first name. I knew it and I felt stupid. Later it came to me and it was Dan. Also people at my church. Should I see a doctor about this?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I think if this is worrying you then it is important to see a Doctor. Memory losses can be caused by many reasons other than dementia and it may be worth having a check up in case its a general health problem.

I think many of us as we get older can temporarily forget a friend or family name but this is not necessarily going to get any worse than that. I hope this is the case for you.

Before seeing a Doctor it may be worth you making notes of any episodes you have of memory difficulties and then take that list to him/her.

Best wishes

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

As Jan says other health issues can cause memory problem.
See your GP & take it from there.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would also suggest that by the time you get to great grandchildren a lot of family members have accumulated making it harder to remember them all. After reading your post I decided to go through my sister's children, grandchildren (8) and great grandchildren (3). I was struggling with the most recent ones and I have no memory issues. Sometimes your brain just selects what you need to know and shoves the other stuff on the back burner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951