I feel totally alone

Betenoir71

Jun 20, 2019
I am new here, so please forgive me, it’s not easy to express how I feel. The positivity I see on this forum is impressive and inspiring, because I couldn’t feel more different. My mum has (in my opinion) been ill for at least 5 years, probably more. She had a neurologist who was lovely, but did not take my concerns seriously, as she was fond of mum and focused on a spinal lesion of unknown origin (red herring) as being the cause of all mum’s difficulties (which she minimised, as if to imply I was “over analysing things). We moved a year ago to be by the sea so that mum could realise a life long ambition and have a good quality of life. This area has a significantly higher number of over 65s than the rest of the UK, but we have since found out dementia services are woefully underfunded by the local CCG, and understandably struggle to provide even an adequate service. Mum was finally diagnosed 2 months ago, put on meds with horrible gastric side effects (she is has double incontinence, so this caused much distress for her and us), but no other support, information or advice. We get little support from Social Services (we accept their limited offer of support which is not appropriate for mum we get nothing). We do not have Admiral Nurses in our area.
I want to campaign for better services and more resources. Bombard the CCG with a rational for funding that they can’t refuse. Lobby the local MPs. But I am exhausted. With the physical care, coping with the delusions and suspicion from a mum how used to love and trust us absolutely.
With the pain of seeing her struggle to move, care for herself in the most basic way, to find the right words and fight off the vicious anxiety and depression she feels. I feel guilty that Infought for a diagnosis, and now she has one, she is left feeling alone and terrified.
I will keep posting and reading and hope it gives me the strength to keep fighting for what should be a given, care for the most vulnerable people in our society, people who happen to be per, but also talented and dedicated doctors, teachers, lawyers, nurses, etc.

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
Good luck in your quest it’s a difficult journey....
Have you put in place LPA’s ? Attendance allowance etc?

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
It is astonishing that people going through such distress.. Carers and victims of horrible dementia are not given the automatic support they should have.. We should do all we can to make it possible.... Love to everyone suffering

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My heart goes out to you. I made a complete pest of myself to SS, & the GP documenting everything. Eventually last year my Dad was seen as a vulnerable adult & the situation resolved via respite cate & Dad never coming out of the CH. Now it’s a similar story with Mum but her dementia is different & capacity fluctuates.

Respite care if your Mum is living with you is a possible way of getting documented evidence to the true situation. As a carer you are entitled to 6 weeks respite care a year.

I really feel for you, let us know how you get on

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My heart goes out to you. I made a complete pest of myself to SS, & the GP documenting everything. Eventually last year my Dad was seen as a vulnerable adult & the situation resolved via respite cate & Dad never coming out of the CH. Now it’s a similar story with Mum but her dementia is different & capacity fluctuates.

Respite care if your Mum is living with you is a possible way of getting documented evidence to the true situation. As a carer you are entitled to 6 weeks respite care a year.

I really feel for you, let us know how you get on
6 weeks a year? I wish. Although I often praise our services in Glasgow respite entitlement is 2 weeks a year. Anything over that has to be paid in full and arranged by the family. I paid £1103 for one week in July. This is yet another area which varies between local authorities.

If I could get 2 weeks respite every 3 months I could cope better. After 7 years doing this on my own I struggle at times so my heart goes out to you @Betenoir71.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @Betenoir71

I agree with @Cat27 that you should ask for an alternative medication if your mum’s tummy troubles continue. Dementia is hard enough to deal with without incontinence!

My dad was put on on a medication when he was first diagnosed that made him aggressive and belligerent. This behaviour improved when his meds were cut back. I wouldn’t have been able to cope if he’d remained on that dose of medication so it’s worth considering if any of your mum’s meds may be causing the problems they are supposed to be helping with.