I feel lost

stjohn

Jul 9, 2007
merseyside
Hi, I'm a bit new to this. My partner has recently been diagnosed with dementia quite young. I'm finding it a bit difficult to get my head around it. He still looks the same and thats the hard part.

He has really changed and I feel I am losing him but he's still here...

Anybody have any thoughts..

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi stjohn, welcome to TP.

It's very hard to come to terms with a diagnosis of dementia, and extra hard I think when the person is young.

You have done well to find TP at an early stage, you will find lots of advice and support here. Just post whenever there is something you want to know, or if you just need a bit of support.

We're not experts, but we're all having to deal with dementia in one way or another, so usually someone will have experienced whatever is worrying you.

I hope you'll find new friends here.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi stjohn,

Welcome to TP. Your partner is still here and still the same person however much the dementia disguises that.

When you are ready please tell us a little more about you and your partner. You will find a lot of support here.

Sue

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello stjohn,

Am a fairly new member of TP but have discovered that we all know your pain. I have watched my wife Dee sucumb to AD and it tears you apart. Gradually you find the strength to cope thanks to help from all sorts of places. The contributors to TP know so much about helping and you have done well to join in so soon.

My heart goes out to you, keep in touch with TP - Cliff

elwoodlpool

Mar 27, 2006
Derbyshire
www.myspace.com
Hi Stjohn,

I hope you dont mind me asking how old is you're partner. My mum is 52 and i still really strugglt to cope with it too. I really feel for you because i know just how much this illness gets to you. People will tell you the same on here its like you greive for them and there still here as i speak mum is in hospital and i can say at the moment its all i think about.

I hope your'e ok

Thinking of you

Mark

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear stjohn,

Glad you have found TP; it is a real life saver for me. I wish I had found it earlier, but better late than never! You will find so much support and help here for any dilemma you may have, large or small. And if you read some of the Tea Room threads for example, and feel like some light relief from your worries, you will find that we can have a laugh too.

Welcome, welcome.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
He still looks the same and thats the hard part.

Hi, and welcome to TP. This is indeed a miserable disease and it takes awhile for it to sink in,pacticularly, I think with someone that is young. It is hard to accept that this person, that you love and care for is changing and the times ahead will be challenging, but, your among many caring people here that will willingly lend their knowledge and support.I wish you and your partner all the very best. Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
stjohn

I can only sympathize.

I`m glad you`ve found TP. There is an increasing membership caring for young sufferers, showing Alzheimers or any other form of dementia is no longer exclusive to the elderly. I believe it`s even more difficult to come to terms with.

I hope you feel less isolated now you know there are people here who understand.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi stjohn,

Welcome to TP - I'm a new user myself and to be honest I'm finding it a god send - the support I'm receiving on here is making it easier to get through each day and each obstacle much more calmly - it's also enabling me to help my mum - who has dementia - and my dad who is caring for her. I would totally recommend you continuing to use this site for support and for advise from people further on in the process than you - knowledge is definitely the key to your own sanity I think!

My mum is also quite young - she had just turned 60 and has been suffering (as far as I can tell) since she was 56.

It is SO difficult as you have plans for this time in your life and suddenly the rugs pulled from under you - my dad had been so shocked it's taken him a good few years to even take her for assessment, so feel proud of yourself for tackling this head on.

For me the devestation has been that loss of my mum, who was also my best friend - pre AZ we talked everyday, we worked together and I even moved round the corner from her - which is helpful for my dad now.

We're currently finding that a good step is to take support and help where ever you find it - there's nothing to be gained in trying to manage alone if you don't have to - if you can manage it I'd also personally recommend attending a local support meeting if there is one - just knowing you're not alone can help to calm those fears as well.

Best wishes to you and your family at this time.

Kate
XXX