I don't want my mum to move care homes

Harry2026

Feb 16, 2015
Hi, my mother has vascular dementia and needs care for just about everything really, I.e going to the toilet and eating. She is currently in a small care home on "emi" / dementia unit within a "care home without nursing" she has been in there for nearly three months now and she seems settled. My siblings feel comfortable with mum there as we know personally some of the carers working there.
We have a meeting with mums social worker this week at the home and we are worried that the home possibly want her moved elsewhere because of her advanced dementia. We really would not want her moved as this would cause her too much upset and the homes offered are large units with over 80 residents with not a good cqc report.

Do we as a family have a right to argue that we don't want her in a different home or will we just get told that moving mum elsewhere is the only option.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Harry

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Harry, I don't have the experience in the UK but why do you think there is a possibility that your mother will be moved? I would certainly argue the point, in any case. This meeting may simply be about the settling in process and nothing else.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do you have an idea if this is being driven by the care home? Because if they feel they can no longer care for her, you have less options. If a home feels they can't care for her, then basically you can't force them to continue to care for her. If it's an LA decision, you might have more options.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Could you talk to the CH manager and find out if he/she has any issues about your mum? The would give you more of an idea about what to do.
I gather from your post that you havent actually been told that your mum must move. Is there any reason why you feel that she will be?

Harry2026

Feb 16, 2015
Hi, thanks for replies everybody. I am pretty sure they have issues with mothers behaviour, we do ask every time we visit and have always had positive comments about mums behaviour but she has been calling out for her mum a lot lately and I think she tried to sit on a patients knee, whether that was intentional or not as she can't see too well without her glasses that she doesn't always have on. They are also struggling to give mum her meds' and feeding and drinking.
We will find out more this week I expect, it's just the two care homes that I think will be recommended didn't fare too well on their recent inspections.
I know she is getting worse, just want the best care for her.