I don't know how to serve her best

robertk

Oct 17, 2019
Hi, We are both in our mid seventies, I am Robert and my Wife, Carol is suffering first signs of dementia, she has been tested and had an MRI which shows 3 mini strokes, ie vascular dementia, at the moment she asks questions sometimes within 10 minutes of each, but these just minor questions like what day is it or is it a swim day etc, on the odd occasion she will put things in strange places, other than that she seems fine, still can cook a meal but mainly just keeps dusting over and over again. I don't know how to help her, will she get worse, should I get a memory aid for her like the Mem-x voice recorder or will she think I am over reacting ??, please help

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
At this early stage we all try to think of ways to beat this illness. We can’t. Organise all the practical, legal and financial stuff first. POA, AA, council tax reduction. Separate bank accounts. That will leave you free to concentrate on the things which will make your time together easier and happier. Join groups even if you’ve never joined anything in your life. You will both need company as time goes by. A distraction for your wife and sanity for you. Get out and about as much as possible.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @robertk, welcome to the forum. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

If you have time to take a good look around the site you will find that it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.