I don’t know where to start!!

Billbowbaggins

Jan 18, 2019
Hello everyone,
I’m at a total lost where to start to be honest. My father has vascular dementia and he has gone down hill rapidly. We obviously need now to get him into a care home that can cater for his needs. I don’t who to contact first, where to go or what to ask for? Where do I start. I live in Worthing West Sussex. I’ve read so much literature and it’s over whelming, my mind is scrambled. It would be nice just for simple advise in plain English! Thanks in advance

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, Bilbobaggins. It is overwhelming, I know how you feel. Have you asked your local carers support centre, I find the one in Bristol to have some really good advisors. https://www.carerssupport.org.uk/contact-us/ will take you to your nearest office. Sorry, I have no direct experience of care homes, but care needs assessments can be helpful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Will your dad be self-funding (ie assets - savings, property, etc - of over £25000) or will he need Local Authority financial support?
If he is self-funded then you can go ahead and organise it yourself, but if he is going to need LA funding (or his funds will go below the £25,000 within a few months) then you will need to work with Social Services. Contact Social Services for a needs assessment for your dad, so that they can assess his needs.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hello everyone,
I’m at a total lost where to start to be honest. My father has vascular dementia and he has gone down hill rapidly. We obviously need now to get him into a care home that can cater for his needs. I don’t who to contact first, where to go or what to ask for? Where do I start. I live in Worthing West Sussex. I’ve read so much literature and it’s over whelming, my mind is scrambled. It would be nice just for simple advise in plain English! Thanks in advance
You probably need to find out whether your father is going to be self funding or not.
MY Mother was self funding so it was really up to me to find somewhere for my Mum . I started with a search on the internet. It was easy to find a care home site which had a description of the homes together with their CQC rating ( very important ..i wouldn't consider a home that didn't have 5 good ratings. ) I made a working list and rang the homes to see if they had a room available and ask what their charges were. ( Be prepared for a shock) If you are looking at finding somewhere quickly you do not have a free choice as you can only choose somewhere that has a room available . I know that sounds obvious but it seriously restricts your choice . Then go visiting....i saw 12! You can make a tick list of features that are important for you and your father (very few have ensuite rooms for instance ) and get a feel for what the homes are like . I found they were very different . Good luck Susan

shaktibhakti

Sep 5, 2016
brighton
YEs , do your research carefully & visit the ones you like the look of.....I found 3 i liked but one the prices increased considerably over the past two years....We are self funding, the care is very good and staff lovely.....Worthing has a few very good carehomes! The hardest also is Are there vacancies in the one/s youd like your father to go into.......one i also loved in Essex hadnt had any vacancies since two years when i first went there a few times........good luck!