1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

I could have cried

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by creativesarah, Feb 2, 2017.

1. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Today I met up with my friend Justin. He has early onset Alzheimers and has had it since his 30's. He is now in his early 40's. Today as we sat in the cafe he couldnt work out how to use his knife and fork and then couldn't do up his coat. He invited me back to his house but as soon as we were outside the cafe he asked me where we were going.I walked back to his house so he would get back there and when we got there he kept showing me little treasures. I have been having a bad couple of days myself, lost things, confused and feeling giddy. Poor Justin it is so tragic. I am plodding on with my writing.I am about to start a blog called 'Cooking by Kindle light' if I remember to do it

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
    How terribly sad Sarah.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

3. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I am so sorry, that is very sad :(

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It`s very sad Sarah. There is no other word for it. Justin is lucky to have you for a friend, someone who really understands.

5. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

I hope I can be a good friend to him. I am hoping we will get someone else involved so we can go out to more exciting places and I don't live in fear of losing him (esp if a loo break is needed by either of us) He can just turn around in Tesco and in that split second he feels lost. We shop together and go to charity shops he likes doing that. I am wondering if we can volunteer at a local building where the need volunteers ti help in the gardens, I will get him to stgart on our garden first as a trial run.
    I don't want to be his carer I just want to be a friend. People say he is always asking where I am

6. joolzt

joolzt Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Edinburgh
  7. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Sarah.... once again I am filled with admiration for you.....but a trifle concerned too I would hate for your friend to become too dependant on you, to the exclusion of others, you need to look after you too.:D

Good luck with the Cook Book.x.x.

8. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    You are so impressive in the efforts you are making to deal with this illness yourself and in your friends. Getting the most out of life is not easy at the best of times so well done for going that extra mile.

9. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    Sarah, you are a very good friend to Justin. It almost made me cry too.

10. Dazmum

Dazmum Registered User

Me too, Jan. You are a lovely person Sarah xxx

11. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    How very sad to have this when so young. You are a lovely person Sarah and Justin is so fortunate to have you for a friend. Do look after yourself too. x

12. HillyBilly

HillyBilly Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Ireland
    "Cooking by Kindle Light" - fabulous! :)

13. Samantha1977

Samantha1977 Registered User

Jan 16, 2017
    I can not imagine how you feel. I just think you're incredibly strong and so is your friend. Both so fortunate to have each other as friends.

14. danonwheels

danonwheels Registered User

You are a good friend.

All the best.