I care for my dad who has Alzheimer’s

Buffy09

Nov 10, 2021
Last night my dad got so nasty towards myself one of his 3 daughters. I care for him and live with him. He said he was being treated like dirt his paranoia was so intense. My dad shoved my arm away when I touched his arm to reassure him and say everything is fine your family love u. Nothing worked so had to take me dog upstairs get out of the way and I asked my Auntie to come over to talk to and my older sister who I spoke about dad she phoned my dad by that time though he was chatting to my auntie and was his normal social self.

susief59

Jun 26, 2019
Does your dad take medication at all? My dad used to get very angry with me but since being on denopazil (not sure of spelling) he has stopped and has not had any angry out bursts since.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
Hi @Buffy09. Unfortunately aggressive behaviour is a part of dementia sometimes and often used against the people the PWD is closest to or is their main caregiver.

My mom became so verbally abusive towards my dad (65 years married and a good marriage) we had to move her to respite care then a care home. She was also swatting at him like your dad it sounds like. She is perfectly charming to me and everyone else (this is often referred to as hostess mode). She still does this in the CH, and we see it particularly when she is in pain or frustrated/confused.

It‘s really hard not to take it personally but it sounds like you did the right thing by walking away and calling in reinforcements.

Buffy09

Nov 10, 2021
Thank you it’s so hard as my Mum passed away 21 years ago on 16th December and I’m finding it very hard to stay happy for Christmas trying to stay just in the now though and give my Dad the best Christmas as I can as u don’t know what is round the corner. He has recently been put on tablets to help with his mood behaviour of Alzheimer’s so hopefully that will take the edge off as well with help from God to give me the strength, patience and understanding to continue to help my dad.

Buffy09

Nov 10, 2021
Hi

My dad has cardiac problems so can’t go on a tablet that is designed to help as it may bring on a stroke due to levels on ecg. However there is a drug that treats mood disorders that might take the edge off so if he can tolerate it all good at present then can up to twice a day mainly his problems r afternoon and night so just a waiting game.