I can't do this............

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
We are all thinking of you as you struggle through this new set back. You have done everything you can. It is very very hard but you cannot control the progression of this illness. There is still some hope that the infection is at least part of the problem so things might not be as bad as you fear. Sleep as much a you can while John is in hospital.
Blue sea

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Hazel

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

I don't know if you managed to get some sleep last night but I do hope that you did.

Hope things are looking better today.

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I rang the hospital this morning. 'He's had a comfortable night. The consultant will see him this morning.'

Hmmmmmm! Comfortable night? Only if they knocked him out!

I'll be visiting this afternoon, and hopefully there will be some info.

Thanks for the love and hugs,

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
More love and hugs Hazel. You are having an awful time, lets hope the hosipatal can sort everything and John will be back home with you soon. Until then catch up on your sleep if you can, take care of yourself.
love Cathyxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Hazel, thinking of you. Do know just what you are going through.

Hang on in there girl, things will get better I promise. Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hazel, I do hope you got some sleep last night. Sending best wishes winging their way to you and John.

Love

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hazel,
I've been reading these posts all along and don't know what to say to help. I want you to know I'm thinking of you and John. I hope the hospital stay quickly resolves the uti and that John will be able to go home more himself.
Love,

Tina

May 19, 2006
So sorry to hear the news, Hazel. Hope you managed to get a clearer picture and better news this afternoon.
Hang on in there, but I know it's hard.

Thinking of you both.

Love Tina xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just back from hospital. I thought John was much brighter when I first went in, his face lit up when he saw me. But it wasn't long before he was agitated again, and he's apparently been very agitated since I left him. So much for the 'comfortable night'

The consultant has seen him, and thinks it's just the UTI, but there are so many electrical impulses going on in his brain, he just can't rest.

I'm hoping some of you who have been here before will be able to tell me if this is normal with UTIs.

I'll be going back this evening, update then.

Thank you all so much for caring.

Love,

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Oh Hazel

I've just caught up with your thread.....I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it at the moment.

I haven't been in that situation with mum ...she never had a UTI but I have heard how badly people react to it.

I just want to send you a hug and support

Love xxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do wish hospitals wouldn't do that: tell you that someone has had a "comfortable night" or whatever when it clearly isn't true. It may be because they think it makes you feel better, but in fact it makes it look as if either they're lying or their records aren't updated. Neither of which instills confidence in them. I had a lot of this when mummy was in hospital, and if you're thousands of miles away, so you can't simply go and check, you end up feeling that they just aren't bothering. They might be, but that's just how it makes you feel. So if you go back to that panel, Hazel, tell them that as well.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'll have so much to say! I just hope they invite me again, the meeting I missed on Friday would have been my first.

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
My experience was that UTI can certainly cause the sort of problems that John is having. Obviously the difficulty is that this sort of agitation is also a common symtom of the progression of dementia, so it's probabaly a 'wait and see' situation. At the very least, however, I would have thought that the UTI is magnifying the problems. I know how difficult it must be for you at the moment, Hazel. Hope you can get some quality rest so that you are refreshed when John comes home.
Blue sea

Tina

May 19, 2006
Hazel,

the agitation seems to be one typical symptom of UTIs. My gramps, who was never officially diagnosed with dementia and had very lucid moments amid his old age confusion, had numerous UTIs and they played havoc with his mind.

He was hallucinating severely (not just unable to place himself in time and place), extremely restless followed by extreme tiredness, shouting and wanting to get up (he was bedridden at the time), etc.

I don't know to what extent progessing dementia is coming into play in your John's case...as blue sea says, it's a matter of waiting for the infection to clear probably. I do hope you see signs of improvement soon...for John's sake and for your peace of mind too.

Love, Tina xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John's a bit better tonight, not quite as agitated. He'd managed a few sips of soup for tea.

They've said I can go in at mealtimes tomorrow to feed him, and can take my own food.

I feel better now that he's being properly looked after, and a bit more optimistic. Thank you all for the support.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm glad to hear that Hazel. I wonder if the UTI had turned into a kidney infection: that can happen (it's happened to me) but it can take a while to clear.

Love