I can't believe it

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hi fellow carers. Can't remember much of the Christmas and New year. Went to our daughter's for lunch. Just as I strapped Jean in the w/chair and was about to wheel her to the car, our son arrived and handed me a bag a presents, telling me all his kids were down with flu. Had to hold Jean's head while I fed her in the W/chair. Made our way back home after an hour and half she was tired and ready for afternoon nap.
By New Year's eve I had a bad cold which turned into full blown flu. On Friday, out of cutiosity I phoned the number given to me by the Community Nurse Asst to find out if her visits had been discontinuned. The manager of mental health told me they were not and she would phone me back. Six hours later she told me the Asst Nurse was on holiday and would be told to phone me Monday, to-day. I remarked it appears to have been a long holiday, seeing her last visit was mid Sep! My next question was as to the purpose of her visits: "To ensure you are coping OK and should you become ill to provide help." She also informed me the girl had been very busy, I await her call with intrest, but can't be bothered to chase it up. Sad to say I have very little good to say about most of my encounters with the so called professionals and my views are only re-enforced when I see the same misguided treatment repeated to other's loved ones on TP.
After almost twelve years it had only gone to stiffen my resolve to continue to care for my wife alone.
At present she's in better shape than I, though she may not be able to move or talk her health is good. I now await the results of her EEG which took place last Wed, then I can make a more informed decision on how to proceed. How I got through the weekend I can't say, all I know I did, am now left with a bad cold. Forgot to mention our daughter was also very ill and confined to bed with severe tonsollitis.
God willing the rest of the year will prove to be better for us all. Padraig

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Padraig

I hope you will be back to full health very soon.

I am so sorry you have once again been badly let down by the system, it is sad that this happens so often.

Wishing you well for the rest of 2007.

Kathleen

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
So sorry to hear of your plight over Christmas and New Year - I trust you are feeling better now. Yes I do hope the rest of 2007 proves better than the start of it. Take care Best wishes Beckyjan

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Thanks for your support. As expected no phone call from the nursing asst. as promised. I will however chase up the hospital and GP regards the results of the EEG.
Over the last few years I get the feeling whenever I have contacted people who are meant to know about Alzheimer's as it relates to my wife, I draw a blank. Could it be they don't know, or not want to know? Remarks such as; "Your doing a great job, and you keep pushing the boundries," are fine but if there is anyone else out there who has been through all the so called stages. (I never knew of them till coming on TP, but boy we have been through them all up to the stage where she was expected to die.) We maybe able to exchange tips and ideas to help one another.
The 1st April is an apt date when we will, God willing, have survived four years since leaving a NH, in spite of being advised a number of times there was no hope. Strange as it may seem caring has gotten easier and more enjoyable.
Hope to be back running in a couple of days, good luck and God bless. Padraig.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Padraig, I`d like to wish you a Happy New Year and sincerely hope you continue to have the strength to care for your wife so well. Regards, Sylvia

Jann

May 24, 2006
tingewick, bucks.
Dear Padraig,

I too wish you all my very best for 2007. You sound absolutely marvellous in your care for your wife. I sincerely hope social services follow up.
Jan x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose