I can’t make mum understand what lockdown means for her

Budgie11

May 31, 2020
N Norfolk
Mum is 90 & lives alone. Normally I help her with shopping but I have been shielding now for 10 weeks & unable to visit. Friends & neighbours have helped with shopping but I have been aware that she also has been to the shops when she isn’t supposed to. Anyone got any ideas how to keep her safe at home ? Thanks

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm afraid the short answer is that you can't. She won't understand, and even if she did understand at the moment you explained it, she'd forget again. It's exasperating and worrying, but it's unlikely you will find a way of keeping her indoors. Sadly it's a very common issue at the moment.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Mel Jones :) As @Sirena has mentioned, keeping someone indoors during lockdown is very difficult and is causing problems for quite a few members here. We have a forum here specifically for covid-19 related issues so worth taking a look through the various threads as you will see that you are not alone and you may find some tips that could help, for instance some are finding that placing signs on the door helps but it would depend on your Mum. Keep posting as you'll find lots of support here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/coronavirus-covid-19.83/

Sinan

May 31, 2020
That's hard . I had to ask our doctor if I could push mum in the wheelchair on the road for a change of scenery. He said yes avoid contact she needs to go out for her mental health. We have been shut in .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham