I Am The Sole Carer For My Mum Who Is In The Denial Phase. Please Help!

Katheryn Howard

Jan 8, 2020
Hello Everyone! I am new here, and I am caring for my mother who is 85. At first I only noticed she was becoming very forgetful, so I put it down to her age, and never thought any more about it. However, then she began (tidying up), a lot of my father's belongings, which then she denies and will get into a screaming when he asks her where she put them. He has Parkinson's and not fit to look for his things that have gone AWOL. I looked for them for my Dad, to no avail. He did not pursue the matter, as my Mum's moods and screaming matches are too much for him.

Then it was all MY expensive catering, cooking, baking utensils, and cake decoration tools, that Mum put into one BIG bag (to get them out of her way as they messed up her kitchen) Okay, that was fair enough. As long as I had them, I didn't mind where they were kept.

Now I have cake orders (2020 to do), so I asked where the bag with all my cake decoration tools was (it was not where she put it before) Mum then denied ever touching them. She went into a mood, and it was scary, especially when she yelled at me. I have now had to buy all the expensive baking and cake decoration tools again, and it's money I can hardly afford, but is essential for me. I am heart broken. I just went up to my room and cried, until I could cry no more.

Since then my Mum has moved (lost) many things belonging to my father and I to which she denies even touching them. She gets into these excessive cleaning moods, which are far worse than before (she was always a cleaning something). Only this time things go missing, even important letters and documents vanish from where my dad and I had them kept, then Mum denies ever moving them, and goes into a horrible mood

I am 50 myself, and an only child, but I moved back home to help care for my Dad, however, now I want out, and have my own flat again. BUT my Mum won't allow me to, and whenever I mention it, I get a tirade of guilt trip abuse, moods, the silent treatment, and screaming matches. Now I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will never have my own place again, until my parents have died. I am very sick myself, and don't have the strength to fight my Mum any more.

My Mum's Father's (my Grandfather) dementia started the same way, and she told me she KNOWS she has it too, however, she flat-out refuses to voice her concerns to her GP or seek any kind of diagnoses, so my Father and I are struggling to cope. Also she refuses to get a hearing aid, as she is deaf too. According to Mum, if she doesn't get a diagnosis for early onset dementia, and doesn't get a hearing test - it means there's nothing wrong with her. I have begged her to go to her GP, as my father and I are suffering - but she refuses to go and there's nothing we can do about it.

My Mum now buys things, and denies she bought them, and blames my Dad and I. Again there's her moods, the yelling, inane singing and silent treatment. You can't hold a conversation with her, as sometimes she does not communicate. If you tell her something, she will deny that you did, so you end up having to repeat it many times over.

I am at my wits end, and actually looking forward to going into hospital for my Enterocutaneous fistula repair, removal of half my bowel, and incisional hernia repaired, all in one huge operation. Afterwards, I am going to be on a ventilator in the ICU to allow my whole body to rest. Then I will be in the HDU, then finally into a normal ward. My surgeon says that I may not make it, or I will have a permanent colostomy. Who in their right mind would look forward to that? But that is how drained and tired I am with Mum.

I worry about my Dad when I finally go into hospital, and how he is going to cope with my Mum, when I am not there. Right now my Dad and I are a support network for each other, especially after her moods, denials, yelling and screaming, as recently she is forgetting how the washing machine works, and the other day the house filled with gas, nearly killing my Dad and I, after Mum left an unlit gas ring on. A blessing none of us smoke, or the house could have been blown away. Dad and I are at the end of our rope.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation? Is this normal for dementia? I don't know as Mum flat-out refuses to go to her GP for tests and possible medication that could help her - and us. Sorry about the long spiel, but it's actually good to get it out.

Kate (UK)

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi Kate I'm so sorry to hear about all your problems. Most people with dementia deny having any problems - the brain tends to fill in any gaps and they believe the memory as it presents to them rather than being 'in denial' as such.
You have mentioned some very worrying areas here - I am concerned for your parents safety whilst you are in hospital and for yours post surgery to return to such a bad situation.
My mothers GP surgery were very helpful in getting her a diagnosis- I was allowed a telephone consultation with her Gp and he then arranged a referral to memory clinic after a "medication" review. If your mums GP will not talk to you alone( I have power of attorney for health which helped) maybe you could write them a letter. If she will not go to the surgery on her own behalf would she go if she thought it was for your dad or you - obviously you would need prior arrangement with the GP.
If you cannot find a way around getting your mum to see a doctor you really need to ask for an urgent social services assessment - make sure you emphasise the safety issues with your and your dads health issues and her leaving the gas on unlit. You should also ask for a carers assessment as they then have to take your needs into consideration, especially as you will not be able to care for them Reach out for help to as many places and people as possibleduring your post surgery recuperation.
My MIL also has dementia and moves things around a lot. I avoid stress as much as I can by avoiding areas of confrontation. I removed my MIL's shredder as she tended to shred anything she considered unimportant and we are considering a lockable post box outside as hospital appointments etc have gone missing. Your personal space and the safety of your things is very important - could you get a lock put on your bedroom door, failing that how about a lockable cupboard to keep documents and precious things safe. In my experience things eventually turn up but it can take months.
Reach out for help to as many places as possible - reading old threads may give you some ideas. Try the Alzheimer’s Association 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) - your mum doesn't need to have been diagnosed for them to talk to you. Local charities can also offer a lot of support and advice.
Wishing you strength and good luck to cope with your issues.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh my lovely, you are at breaking point, I’ve been at the end of the screaming etc & it took me a long time to seek help for Mum & Dad
Definitely ring the advice line. others have walked the same path on this forum, & I from experience struggled with the excellent advice given by other forum members . Yet eventually the realisation of how awful the situation was led to crisis after crisis before I took action.
it was hard as Mum was violently opposed to any intervention but sadly her situation & Dads required it.

living at home is problematic & I feel for you but you have to harden your heart a little & have your parents “best interests” at the core of all decisions.
Then come a weep/ vent/ etc on here. We are a good support network & you now don’t walk this path alone
X

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
I can relate to so much of what you've written (and admit to almost punching the air and shouting 'hurrah!' when I was diagnosed with an incurable auto-immune disease because if I need a rest, I now 'officially' need a rest and I'll get at least 4 days off a year to see the consultant!)

My mum's behaviour is very similar apart from the fact that she does toddler-style sulks, refusal to open eyes or speak and refusal to drink, rather than shouting. Dad was at the end of his tether and dreadfully confused before he died suddenly, leaving us to take over. I knew things were bad, as I used to visit several times a week and rung every day, but I honestly thought I'd be able (eventually) to talk mum round into getting a diagnosis ............. and that was 2.5 years ago.

I've managed to hatch a plan with the GP, who she trusts where he calls in to discuss some recent blood tests and steers the conversation around to memory and general capability. Fingers-crossed she will take notice of him, as he is very good with her. When I bring it up, she gets angry and asks since when have I 'known everything'. I hated doing it, but I made an appointment about her with her GP and went without telling her, but it was all I had left to do.

I've learned that daughters who do give their all to help generally don't get listened to when it comes to the technical stuff and although I live a couple of miles away, I too have that feeling of waving my life goodbye as I seem to be at her house every day and my request for a day off hasn't gone down at all well!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba