i am new

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
hiya everyone i have just been recently diagonsed with early on set dementia at the age of 43 and just feel lost and alone (i have a hubby and 2 teenage daughters)but they dont see me at 2 or 3 in the mornings when i am at my worst i cry for the lose of my short term memory i have no memories of the last 2 years i worry about the effect my illness is having on my family my hubby wants to find out about what the future holds for me but i am not ready for that yet i am still in shock about it all

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello eskimojo

It never fails to shock and upset me when people of your age are diagnosed and I want you to know how glad I am you have found this Forum.
It will not make news of your diagnosis any easier to live with but at least you will be able to offload to people whose feelings you will not need to protect.
There will always be someone here for you, often even at 2 or 3 in the morning.

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Early onset at 52.

You are not the only one.
Read talking point and contribute if you want to.
There are many of us in the same boat - carrying on and making life as normal as possible.
Keep on driving (if you drive) - just have a driving asessment every year.
Do what you can do and don't give in! There are many in the same situation.
I am called Carrie on Talking point,

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Eskimo Jo

I have Vascular dementia I hve been diagnosed about 18 months
My motto is Sieze the Day -make the most of every moment you can and also
Dont curse the darkness light a candle
Attatched is a photo I took to encourage myself and others

Although there are things I cant do I am glad that I have the time to do other things like being creative and taking zillions of photos

Lots of support

Sarah

rue

Nov 9, 2011
I`m new too!

Hello Eskimo Jo
Was diagnosed last year with vascular demantia[at 58] but cognitive problems began when I was 40, early menapause I was told the,a reactivation of childhood epilepsy,then a mood disorder.An MRI followed by batteries of cognitive tests, clinched it. Am so often awake often all night. Will be thinking of you.
However what i am wondering, am i the only person, living on my own with brain disease. I do not have anything against elderly people. But i do object attending the memory clinic,which is part of the psychogeriatric service.
Having spent time reading some of the carers perspectives. This afternoon my mood has descended, So although we only realy know our own feelings.I truelymempathize with any one who contemplating a future like mine.

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
i am the same and get really upset and angry that when i visit the hospital the appointment always reads gereatric medicine.........why when i am under 45 do i have to attend a service for older people who i have no problem with......also have tried out a few services eg exercise classes and relaxation classes but only ever have gone to one of each as the youngest member behind me is about 80 i really dont like it.....wish there was more to do for younger people as the others there had nothing in common with me eg young families husbands morgage ect its just so frustrating
i want to get out more and have some level of independance that i know i manage but not found anything yet
and Rue keep your chin up and keep fighting xxxxx

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi eskimo Jo
I felt the same at the geriatric medicine bit too!
Although the receptionist was very sympathetic!

I just reread the thread and realised I'd forgotten to put on the photo!:eek::eek::eek:
par for the course really I have to keep scrolling down the page to remember what was said and I can never remember who posted so I have to pay attention to that thank goodness I can scroll down!

Are there things you like doing ? I do lots of craft stuff (Just lost the f on the keyboard)
I do things that can mostly be completed in one go like making a simple necklace or felt badges or make cards I know its not everyones cup of tea but if theres something you enjoy try and do it if its possible
I love taking photos too!

I have made friends at our craft group we only meet once a month but one of the ladies takes me out or visits me once a week and I look forward to that.
Where i live is in a village abd I have had to give up driving which is most frustrating
but I try to make the best of a bad job

Lots of support Sarah

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I forgot to put on the photo again!

Attachments

• dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 670

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
well been up now for 3 hours just roaming around the house.....even the puppy Ellie has deserted me and gone back to bed.....trying to recall why i am sooooo over tired then checked my diary.....get for seeing what i have been doing and i think thursday was just too much.......my youngest daughter was giving a speach about the work of the ritired greyhound trust.......friend Jo called round at 7.45 am for brews and a bacon butty before the big day......6 dogs in the house wow.....3 greyhounds my greyhound Rosa....i always say she rescued me not the other way around.....she is the thing that gets me up in the morning and puts a smile on my face......get sooo much joy from taking her to dog shows and seeing both my 14 year old daughter shine and my lovely doggie daughter shine as well.....then there is our beautifull hoddy.....a whippet staffie cross.....the careing one of the bunch always knows when mummy is not too good......next into our house is the delightfull Joseph......a beautifull full whippet boy (up until we rescued him we had only ever had girly doggies) he was about 2 kgs under weight and he had the most smellyest breath......5 and half hours on the operating table....minus 28 teeth and such a joy to see him recover and his true personallity shine......now then theres a special little girl i want to tell you about my gourjuss ellie...12 week old greyhound...whippet...... collie x who is going to be trained as my assisance dog.....hope she hasnt got the greyhound brain.......anyone who owns greys will tell you they are thick lol......
so talk done at school sorry for the wittering....then off i went to some meeting with the stroke association....cant remeber what it was about......home......then wash the car and go pick my girls up from school...husband drives not me.....then get home to find phone and computer not working big arguements later between my 2 teenagers then off out again for 14 year olds parents evening......great report from them all was surprised......back home help as much as i can with tea.......yesterday was i am tired angry upset dont know why then checked the diary and found yet again over done it.....so no work done in the house yesterday.....today up at 5 am roaming ect and cant seetle.......doggie day today going tin rattleing to raise funds for the greyhounds....rally need to get some washing done....need a shower more....forgot to have one yesterday.....then the rest of the day blank...
:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello eskimojo

One of the first things my husband lost was the ability to pace himself and from your post it looks like it`s bottom of your list too.

But he is one of the older people with dementia so didn`t have your responsibilities and was well able to avoid piling up lists of things to do.

Your post made me breathless. :)

Take care . x

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
i am sooooo angry today

the day started off badly when i was kept awake half the night with my puppy (13 weeks old)who wanted the loo let her out and back in again and my hubby said just let her sleep on the bed....first mistake as couldnt get back off to sleep....next at 9.15 am this morning the electric goes off.....need to go get some more we are on a prepaynent metre....go to the shop to find that i had forgotten my bank card...back home takes me an hour to find it...back to the shop.......get the gas and then get told by the person in the shop that the electric didnt go on my key so will have to refund my money back on to the card.......wait 10 mins then back into the shop i go....no money in my account.....oh you will have to get your hubby to come in with his card and get the electric.....back home and ring hubby to tell him......he is not going to be home till 3pm......sat all day with no eletric till hubby home from work.....electric now back on....find daughter number 3 not done washing like asked......still fuming......hope to feel better tommorrow.....cant beleive that this has made me so upset and angry could shout at the world at the min

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hiya again from Jancis,
I first met you on the "my pets keep me sane" social group on Talking Point (it was lovely to hear about you and your family's love of greyhounds and whippets and the ones you've rescued).
It's great that you are posting on the main forum too. So sorry to hear you're feeling so down at the moment. Love and hugs to you and your amazing dogs. xxx

Eema

Nov 24, 2011
I'm new too

Hi, Eskimojo. Should I call you Jo? :)

I'm also new on these boards, was just diagnosed at age 46 (but after years of knowing that something was wrong). I also used to do far too much. The trick is to do a lot on a good day so that you have some slack when you have a bad day -- but not so much that you get exhausted and depressed and HAVE a bad day, or a string of them.

I also am often up in the middle of the night, sleeping pills make me hung over and I've had fibromyalgia for years so my sleep cycles are all messed up. So you can definitely get on and write and hopefully I (or someone else) will reply. But if the insomnia is new, speak to your doctor about it. Becoming a bit depressed, and anxious, is normal in this situation, especially when it's new. It's possible that either some medication or some talk therapy (or both) will help, just for a short time. I know that when I can't get enough good sleep, it's hard to stay positive and focused during the day.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Eskimojo. Your dogs sound fab. I'd love a dog and a whippet is my favourite breed. I've heard they are loyal friends.
I've just had treatment for cancer at 45 and I have teenage kids. It has been the hardest year of my life and the whole family has been thrown upside down by it. Sometimes I think my cat is the only one who understands me! I can only imagine how you must feel. I come on here cos my mum has dementia. She's 80.
I send you my very best wishes - we are always here.
Very warm wishes,

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
thank you everyone for your kind words.......feeling much better today and more focused went to bed at 8pm last night and had quite a good sleep.....although the pup needed to go out at 3 am this morning for the loo.....but this time went back to sleep in her own bed so only had a hour awake........because i havent done much these last few days .........washing like mount everest......dust about an inch thick everywhere.....i do love my talc but do get messy with it so thats where the dust is coming from......my bed looks like my 4 doggies have just brought the mud out of the garden and smired it everywhere so clean bedding needed.....this week end we are going to raise funds and awareness with the greyhounds at a market in brombough on the wirral......then sunday is my best day as we are going to a fun dog show in north wales so get to show off my 4 lovely 4 legs.......first came hoddy.....a whippet with a little staffie in her.....that sounds wrong she hasnt eaten a staffie she is a quarter staffie....got her from a breeder but she is my lovely little girly who when i am having a bad day she stays so close to me lays by my side when i am in the kitchen or bathroom.......next came the greyhound....my beautifull beautifull little Rosa we got her in january this year as an 14 week old pup from the retired greyhound trust and the reason i smile every day.......then came my little boy Joseph.......5 years old.....not vaccs since 12 weeks old not micro chipped and with the worst bad breath you can imagine...he is from a rescue called scruples.....he was only ment to be a foster dog....took him to be castrated and got a call from the vet that they needed to remove 28 of his teeth because if they didnt blood poisioning would have killed him with in 5 to 6 weeks time....5 hours on the operating table and a night stay at the vets.....home next day and hand fed him for 6 weeks after that and then decided that we couldnt let him go at all so he is here to stay.....didnt realise that i needed a mummy boy like him in my life......next came my newest member of the family Ellie a whippet,greyhound collie cross who is next year when she has had her puppyhood going to be trained as my assisance dog....just thought i would share my beautifull babies with you
Jo xx

Eema

Nov 24, 2011
Post pictures of the dogs! I'm sorry, I know what a greyhound is, is a whippet similar? I have friends who have a Saluki, beautiful creature, she obviously knows that she's royalty and expects to be treated as such.

On the other hand, I have two cockapoos, the complete opposite -- little. fluffy things, expensive mutts really. One is a complete princess, very smart, if there were a breed standard she'd be it, looks like a stuffed toy. The other is also a mama's boy like yours, when he's happy to be petted he wiggles and grunts like a little pig. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, took him 18 months to figure out the game of fetch -- but we love him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman