I am losing my abilities to comprehend and memorise situations and concepts of daily life., I have to stress a lot to do basic things

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
I am 18 years old and I am experiencing issues related to my memory and comprehension since I was 17, at that time these were not so severe as they are now, I tend to forget things very easily and also find myself going with the flow without being mindful and I hate it when I cannot control my own thought process, I was the brightest of my class and people around me had and still have huge expectations from me, but I find myself helpless, I have to stress myself a lot so that I can stick to my stuff for a long time, I'm finding it difficult and often think of giving up, it's going out of my control and I'm having breakdowns every fortnight.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
You need proper medical help.

The place to start is the GP.

Although you have the fear of the way your brain feels ,it can sometimes be another part of the body causing the problem so you may need to have some checks done, you may not feel that are relevant, but just go with the flow!

I sometimes think doctors are like computers, if you don’t put the information in you can’t get the information out. I would certainly start to keep a diary of how I was feeling. In addition I would right down things like is the feeling tidal, or continual ? Any other symptoms, hot, cold, headache, upset stomach.
The more professional you make your presentation of the problem to the GP the better.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Avi14 welcome, and sorry to hear about the problems you are having. As suggested above, please speak to your GP about your symptoms and let them know that you are having a breakdown every fortnight as they will be able to provide you with help and support.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree, you need to speak to your GP.

There are lots of things that can cause memory problems and it may take a while (and lots of tests) to track it down

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
You need proper medical help.

The place to start is the GP.

Although you have the fear of the way your brain feels ,it can sometimes be another part of the body causing the problem so you may need to have some checks done, you may not feel that are relevant, but just go with the flow!

I sometimes think doctors are like computers, if you don’t put the information in you can’t get the information out. I would certainly start to keep a diary of how I was feeling. In addition I would right down things like is the feeling tidal, or continual ? Any other symptoms, hot, cold, headache, upset stomach.
The more professional you make your presentation of the problem to the GP the better.
I experience loss of appetite and symptoms like forgetfulness and upset stomach on a daily basis

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Avi14 welcome from me too.

Loss of appetite, upset stomach and forgetfulness could all be symptoms of stress. I get like that when I’m stressed - covid isn’t helping! Definitely go and see a doctor if it is stress worrying about it will only make it worse. Hopefully it’ll turn out to be something easy to sort out.

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
Hi @Avi14 welcome from me too.

Loss of appetite, upset stomach and forgetfulness could all be symptoms of stress. I get like that when I’m stressed - covid isn’t helping! Definitely go and see a doctor if it is stress worrying about it will only make it worse. Hopefully it’ll turn out to be something easy to sort out.
it's just that I have a lot of repressed emotions and once I express what I feel in bulk, I feel way better, but i am currently in a hard to believe situation where I find it incredibly hard to talk to my parents about what I feel because most of the times they out the conversation in a loud manner which often leaves my issue unresolved and I even feel embarrassed that I told them something that was affecting me

I have a list of topics I could speak about , I am carrying around this baggage that whenever i get a chance to speak to someone, I tend to over-express myself and it can be a burden to the other person I know, and even I want to stop it, the only way is to express but I have no one to talk to :(

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
I don't have money to reach out to a counsellor which is exactly what I need, once I vent these emotions I feel I will retain my older self which I've been missing for almost a year now

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that all the things that you have talked about here are exactly the reasons for all your symptoms.
Repressed emotions can cause a lot of physical problems.
Have you tried getting counselling on the NHS?
I have recently had a course of telephone counselling.

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
I think that all the things that you have talked about here are exactly the reasons for all your symptoms.
I would but I am not living in the UK, I am from India, just found this forum while searching for help

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
yes I think so too, if only I can express myself somewhere freely, it'd uplift my morale definitely

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi @Av14, Most of us are British, but we are lucky enough to have some people pop in from all over the world.
We have a service called the NHS (national health service). All our healthcare is free at the point of service, so if you lived here you would get free councillors.
I am not sure if you receive anything similar ?
Are you still in eduction, could you approach someone there, so you can access the help ?

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
Hi @Av14, Most of us are British, but we are lucky enough to have some people pop in from all over the world.
We have a service called the NHS (national health service). All our healthcare is free at the point of service, so if you lived here you would get free councillors.
I am not sure if you receive anything similar ?
Are you still in eduction, could you approach someone there, so you can access the help ?
I understand, and that is something great to have, I wish our country could arrange for something similar, for now Counselling services are unavailable due to covid-19 , I haven't been to my education centres for almost the entire academic year due to lockdown .

I am preparing for an exam I have in 2 months and I really need to be in the right headspace to crack the exam in order to get into the college of my choice, I believe I can do it but these mental buildups have taken a huge toll on my memorising ability and ability to comprehend, and I don't know how to get back in the headspace where I can think clearly, it's really a struggle :(

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Sorry to hear of the problems you are having @Avi14 . You say counselling services are unavailable at the moment - perhaps they are available by telephone as ours are at the moment? In the UK education establishments have help for students too - is there a teacher you can confide in or a psychologist at the school? You've probably tried these already so sorry if that doesn't help.

Is there anything like the Samaritans in India - people you can speak to confidentially over the phone who will listen sympathetically? Otherwise, can you phone your doctor and perhaps have a check-up although I realise this might not be available in the current Covid-19 situation.

I think the stress of your coming examinations is causing you to feel overwhelmed. It might be an idea to take a break and try techniques to calm yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’ve had a look online to see if there is a helpline you might contact. This article in the Times of India mentions a youth helpline. There is a telephone number in the article -

It might help to chat to someone there.

Avi14

Feb 25, 2021
Sorry to hear of the problems you are having @Avi14 . You say counselling services are unavailable at the moment - perhaps they are available by telephone as ours are at the moment? In the UK education establishments have help for students too - is there a teacher you can confide in or a psychologist at the school? You've probably tried these already so sorry if that doesn't help.

Is there anything like the Samaritans in India - people you can speak to confidentially over the phone who will listen sympathetically? Otherwise, can you phone your doctor and perhaps have a check-up although I realise this might not be available in the current Covid-19 situation.

I think the stress of your coming examinations is causing you to feel overwhelmed. It might be an idea to take a break and try techniques to calm yourself. I hope you feel better soon.
I can find someone to talk to over the phone, but I'm not comfortable with just voicing my troubles to a phone , I fear I won't feel comfortable that ways,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso