I am Fed up with The OPG hassling me - am I the only one???

Mariella

Feb 27, 2013
My mother has been in a care home for over 10 years after having been diagnosed with early onset Alzhiemers. During this time I have been managing her affairs which consists of three properties, and filling in all the financial paperwork required for her by the OPG, HMRC and before they spent all her money, the Court of Protection. I find the OPG's handling of my mother's affairs offensive and intrusive, but don't know what to do! They are now asking me why I am gifting her grandchildren with amounts of money which I am regularly saving into the Childrens Mutual Savings account! I am desperate to know if anyone else finds them as offensive as I do and what I can do to change it? Am I allowed to get an accountant to deal with my mothers affairs as I really no longer want to receive letters from the OPG about a "case number" who is actually MY MOTHER. I'd love to know why they charge me to handle my mothers affairs? AGHHHHHHHHH.

As you can see I'm upset by them. 10 years I've put up with this. I just don't want to deal with them anymore.

Please help!:mad:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I understand about them asking about the grandchildren's gift- are they reasonably small ammounts?

3 properties cant be easy to manage- have you been in difficulty in the past, so they perhaps keeping a closer eye?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Are you a Deputy? If so it explains why the OPG is asking the questions. I was a Deputy too but it means that we are deputising for the CoP who hold the power of attorney so we are accountable to the Court. It is overseen by the OPG which is why they charge.

I can only assume that the gift amounts are large enough to cause concern as I had no problems with regular birthday and Christmas gifts of money I gave to our grandchildren on my husband's behalf.

If you just have LPA then there must be some other explanation for their involvement.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am mum deputy for Court of Protection and I know that I have to account for every penny of mums money that I spend. Its is the Office of Public Guardians that has the responsibility for mums finances - I am only a deputy. I cant spend the money as I would like - it has to be in mums interest and I have to be able to justify how I spend it. Im afraid that is just the way it is. There is a sliding scale of supervision and as part of this I have a telephone number for someone who I can call if I am uncertain about anything so that I dont get the queries later. Do you have anything like that?
BTW - you should not be charged for the deputyship - it should come out of your mums finances.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Having looked at your past posts Mariella it appear's you are a deputy and that someone (COP or professional counsel or someone else - it's not clear which) raised concerns about you gifting money to the grandchildren. Are you saying you went ahead and did this?