I am about to loose it

jamie-g

Oct 5, 2013
Aberdeen , Scotland
I was told to organize Dorset boxes for mums tablets it has taken me 2 weeks to get them sorted with chemist and Gp ......went to collect first week to be told by chemist not viable as gp wants her Diazapam and other medication on a as required basis Gp cant seem to grasp she has no full time carer to dispense as required ........Social work are dragging heels and i live 150 miles away ..... What do i do

Rant over

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
All I can think of is to tell them exactly what you've said here. Dosette boxes are fine if there's someone to administer them as you rightly say. Are they worried that she might take too much / not enough / forget entirely? I'm so confused as to how they would assess 'as and when' the medication is actually required if there is no one who is with her all the time, to work out when this is!

I'm sorry I have no practical advice - I hope someone who is a distance carer will come along soon who has some experience of this

xxxxxx

jamie-g

Oct 5, 2013
Aberdeen , Scotland
from what i understand the Dorset boxes were to get a better idea of what tablets were being taken and to have better control as we have found medication all over the flat stuffed in drawers lol

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
With Mum we have the dosette boxes for the regular medication and the as and when medications are separate and hope for the best. Mum lives alone so I can't monitor those, the dosette boxes I can check.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
They may ( or may not) go from the dossett box, don't know how you'll know if they were actually taken.

'As and when ' meds just don't go in Dosset boxes. Cant see how you can put them in.

Who decides when she needs them?

jamie-g

Oct 5, 2013
Aberdeen , Scotland
i have spoken to a couple of friends who are going to look in and keep a eye on the box

i am hoping social work pulls the finger out and we get a carer in to ensure medication is dispensed correctly as once its up and running with s/w it has to be in Dorset box for them to supervise

jamie-g

Oct 5, 2013
Aberdeen , Scotland
mum has had meds on regular instruction eg 1 am 1 pm for years but gp changed her diazapan on fri to as req as she was so agitated o fri with instruction to me i could give her more to settle her down ...... so all i was wanting gp was to revert to normal dosage

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
i have spoken to a couple of friends who are going to look in and keep a eye on the box

i am hoping social work pulls the finger out and we get a carer in to ensure medication is dispensed correctly as once its up and running with s/w it has to be in Dorset box for them to supervise

I suspect if care is being arranged by SW, if it was them who asked you to get dosette boxes sorted, it is because carers cannot give medication unless they are in dosette boxes. It is obviously evident she needs care from what you say about medication being everywhere but sounds like she needs more than someone prompting her to take tablets. I hope the SW gets some care sorted quickly. I wouldn't tell the SW the friends are going in, if they think people are there they can delay putting in care - sorry if this sounds cynical but borne from experience.
best wishes
Sue

jamie-g

Oct 5, 2013
Aberdeen , Scotland
I suspect if care is being arranged by SW, if it was them who asked you to get dosette boxes sorted, it is because carers cannot give medication unless they are in dosette boxes. It is obviously evident she needs care from what you say about medication being everywhere but sounds like she needs more than someone prompting her to take tablets. I hope the SW gets some care sorted quickly. I wouldn't tell the SW the friends are going in, if they think people are there they can delay putting in care - sorry if this sounds cynical but borne from experience.
best wishes
Sue

Lol totally agree told s/w i am going home today but staying tonight and will leave before cleaner arrives in morning