i am a nurse doing research

badger

Jun 25, 2006
dorset
hi i am doing research on nutrition in alzheimers disease.

does anybody know what nutritonal minerals are thought to increase the risk of alzheimers disease. and what properties do fruits and vegtables have that can reduce or delay the onset of alzheimers. many thanks for youre help:) :)

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
minerals and dementia

Hi badger,

I have heard things about an association between aluminium and dementia. You may find it useful to search for articless on sites like the cochrane library and Pubmed. Here are a couple of recent articles on the subject:

Rogers MA and Simon DG. A preliminary study of aluminium intake and risk of alzheimer's disease. Age and Ageing1999 March 28 (2) 205-209.

Holford P. Alzheimer's and dementia: the nutrition connection. Primary Care Mental Health. 2004 2(1) 5-12.

A lot of the research is at least 10 years old so you may have difficulty finding recent literature on the subject.

Good luck with your research.

Jodie

badger

Jun 25, 2006
dorset
nursing research

sorry to repeat myself but question is in 2 parts

what properties do fruit and vegtables have that can reduce or delay the onset of alzheimers disease

many thanks

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi badger

I have merged your two threads as they were the same topic and it might have confused us all to be having two sets of replies that were not linked.

Re: aluminium - worth checking out the Alzheimer's Society's response http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/Risk_factors/info_aluminium.htm which includes
The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present.

It has proved extremely difficult to devise studies which could resolve this problem one way or another

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
There is a published study that indicates that vitamins c and e plus ibuprofen may protect against alzheimers. This is a link http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/529400

If you can't access it, you'll have to register (it's free). There may be other info on the medscape site that might be useful to you.

Jennifer

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
When my mother decided to give up eating and drinking last November, the doctor who came then recommended steak-and-kidney pudding and chips. At least it gave her a good laugh!

Really it was a case of trying every sort of food we could think of, to get any nourishment at all into her.

She could usually be persuaded to have bread-and-milk, soup with grated cheese, ice cream, little bits of apple or pear chopped small.

She used to lean over the front gate eagerly waiting for "my dinner lady", the meals-on-wheels driver, but it was the person she wanted, not the food.

Up to the 20th April nurses brought nutri-drinks, she was supposed to have two a day. I'm sure she drank them mainly because it was the nurses who brought them. If only they'd gone on bringing them a bit longer.

She liked to see food arriving, wanted the milkman to go on bringing 6 eggs a week when she no longer had any idea what to do with them, so they were piling up in the fridge. She wasn't very interested in what I was ordering when I ordered groceries on the Net, but liked to be left alone on the day they were going to be delivered, so she could open the door to the driver and unpack the things and put them away "all by myself".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart