I am a new one

sogovia

Sep 4, 2007
Cornwall
Hi everyone i am a new one. Not suffering dementia but now caring for people with dementia. Would love some information on this issue. I have a son with schizophrenia and have cared for him for 14 years and have now got to the point in my life where i have more time to care for others. Would like some tips on caring for dementia clients as i would like to bring more support for them.

sogovia. x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Welcome sogovia.
Would like some tips on caring for dementia clients as i would like to bring more support for them.
I would think that just reading many of the threads would give you some insight into supporting your clients. We have no experts here, only people doing their very best in some trying circumstances.

I have often found the answers here on TP without even having to ask the question. Hope you find TP as helpful to you.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi,welcome to the site.Caring for dementia and living with dementia are 2 different things.I take my hat off to those who actually live with their loved ones and care for them day by day,I also commend carers who work with this on a daily basis.To care for dementia or alzheimers sufferes takes a lot of stamina.you must have training in this field.the training is intense.To be able to communicate with a sufferer is paramount.Knowing what to say if they ask questions eg.where is my wife (who is deseased)what would you as person say? What would you as a loved one say?Dementia and alzheimers training brings a tear to your eye and if you haven't had the training please ask for it.Dementia and alzheimers differs from day to day.its all about knowing the right thing to say and do at the time.The sufferrers are no different from anyone else,they have a disease they didn't ask for,thats all.hope you do well in you job.love elainex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Elaine, you are a credit to your profession. I wish there were more like you, then our problems would be over.

love xx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
thanks Grannie G.i am actually in tears at the moment,knowng what you do 24/7 doesn't compare to an 8 hour shift.then go home and forget about it (i personally don't,but that's me)love and best wishes,elainex

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello sogovia,
Welcome to TP. I am sure that you'll benefit from this forum, your career choice is a very challenging one. With having cared for your son with his illness you'll know about empathy. Elaine pointed out about the training aspect I also feel that this is paramount, sadly, too many carers are just thrown in the deep end with no or little real understanding of dementia. I think it's great that your taking time to gain knowledge, to help better care for the likes of our loved ones. I hope that you find this career rewarding. Best Wishes for your future. Taffy.:)

sogovia

Sep 4, 2007
Cornwall
Can i just say thank you to you all for your warm welcome and to you Elaineo2, what you wrote was a very important issue that it is important to know what to say to people who ask questions when they are confused and anxious. I want to do my very best in my new job and i am being trained daily.

Thank you also Taffy and i am very sure i will enjoy coming here you all seem very genuine. I try as much as i can to learn about what i am wanting to do. I click very well with the elderly and i know you have to have a lot of paitence and that i have plenty of that after caring for my son for 14 years.

Connie, you made a very interesting point when you wrote "we have no experts here" I think the experts are us who care for our loved ones. We are the people who know our loved ones inside out. Thanks Connie, i am sure i will find answers also here.

Kind regards.

sogovia x

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi there,

I worked in dementia care for 4 years- I agree with the others, training is essential. Perhaps contact your local alzheimers society branch (my local branch had several training days) or if you are working for social services keep an eye out for the training days they run.

Hope this is of some help, though i found what I learnt on the job just as valuable.

Jodie

sogovia

Sep 4, 2007
Cornwall
Hi Jodie, yes i am finding what i learn on the job really helpful. I am training as well as i go along, i work with the managers and senior staff and they do a wonderful job, such hard working. I have just done an afternoon shift for the first time today. It is just as on the go, hands on but different from the morning shift and i am feeling right at home already. The residents are warming to me and i have great respect for them as i look at them as my elders.

Thank you all once again you have been most kind.

sogovia. x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
well done and keep the positive attitude you have.some days will be good,some bad.Don't just take the day as you find it.Make it better for your clients and yourself,have laugh with them or a cry if need be.Be there and care thats all they want.lots of luove and best wishes elainex

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Sogovia
welcome to Talking Point,I am sure that although you have already been much good advice you will recieve much more in the future.

Have a look at the,many fact sheets and oportunities for training .
You can find all this by clicking on "Fact Sheets "in the top left hand corner.
hope this is helpful
Norman

Last edited:

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
ditto

Hi Norman,
I was just waiting until I had read the page and then was going to suggest the Fact Sheets. You beat me to it.

Nice to still hear from you.

Love Aileen

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear sogovia.you are more than welcome,i know you will be the best you can be.if work ever gets you down,take it out on us,rant and rave all you like.its good to know there are people like you out there.love and best wishes elainex

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Sogovia

I'm surprised Brucie hasn't joined in this email, cos I think it is his message that always says "once you've met once person with Alzheimers, you've met on person with Alzheimers". The point being that every one is different. Just remember, though, that they were all once ordinary people going about their ordinary lives, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, going to work, having children, looking after them very well, having sex!, hobbies, pastimes, watching telly, gardening. And they all had husbands or wives, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, work colleagues. They took decisions, managed money, they were just ordinary people like we are now.

I think you just have to take them as you find them. Don't deny their funny memories which might be wrong, just nod appreciatively and try and ask something else about them. I witnessed a new recruit care assistant at my mum's home last week, one resident asked (5 times!) Do you live near here? and she said yes. Full stop. That's not a good point. The resident went on. "Oh, where do you live?". She said "In the flats at such-and-such a street". "Oh" said the resident, "I know them". End of conversation. The Care worker should have picked up on it, she should have asked if the resident had lived near there herself, did she go to the church on the corner, did her family still live there. Missed Opportunity. Lots of people with Alzheimers are still able to, and enjoy, talking about themselves, and asking about you. It transpired that the new recruit has a baby, so I told her to bring in photos of her, or even bring in the baby.

Just remember that they are all people. They have a past, a present, and a future.

Love

Margaret

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Margaret,what a wonderful post.We are all equal.we just don't all function the same way.today is the present and thats why we call it a "gift".tomorrow is a day away.who knows what may happen?live for today.love elainex

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Margaret W said:
I'm surprised Brucie hasn't joined in this email, cos I think it is his message that always says "once you've met once person with Alzheimers, you've met on person with Alzheimers".

FYI Bruce is on a (well deserved) vacation.

sogovia

Sep 4, 2007
Cornwall
Elaineo2, You have welcomed me so much and i am learning day by day. Norman, that fact sheet is so interesting, thank you for that. I was on a shift this afternoon and it has been great now i am settling in and feeling part of a family, the clients are so welcoming and already have begun to get attatched to me. One woman said to me that she was happy i have joined them and she acknowleges that we all do a great job at the home, she also commends us (staff). I am getting lots of training and the clients are so affectionate towards me and i give them hugs and have a laugh with them if they are able to.

sogovia. x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Sogovia,what a wonderful start to what i hope you will find a wonderful career.Ther is a poem called a carers phylosophy posted on Tea room,access POEMS.it is a brilliant post,there is also Alzhiemers prayer.Read them both,sit back and think about your role in their lives.It brings it all home to you,believe me!I wish you all the very best and please continue posting.love elainex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR