I’m wondering if dad can refuse a safeguarding investigation with fluctuating capacity.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I’m hoping someone may know the answer. I have put in a complaint to SS regarding dads care company and sent photos to back me up.
I got a phone call asking if dad knew and had given his permission. I said “No “ he didn’t but he has “fluctuating capacity “. She said that was ok as she could go ahead.
Having looked at his incoming calls yesterday online there was one which looks like it it may be from SS. Now, dad will either not answer the phone or will tell the person that “everything is fine”and will decline anything going ahead.As he did his bed.. Dad is self funding so I can change companies but that isn’t really the issue tbh. I want people to do their job..

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@TNJJ The safeguarding investigation has been made by you, against the care company, so I can't see how your dad's permission is needed for the investigation to go ahead - social services are obliged to investigate safeguarding concerns when received. We were in a similar position a couple of years ago, having made a complaint about mum's care company. The safeguarding team contacted me and my sister about the complaint, not mum, and the outcome was that the complaint of neglect was substantiated and a carer was sacked and barred from undertaking care work.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@TNJJ The safeguarding investigation has been made by you, against the care company, so I can't see how your dad's permission is needed for the investigation to go ahead - social services are obliged to investigate safeguarding concerns when received. We were in a similar position a couple of years ago, having made a complaint about mum's care company. The safeguarding team contacted me and my sister about the complaint, not mum, and the outcome was that the complaint of neglect was substantiated and a carer was sacked and barred from undertaking care work.
Thanks. I did wonder but not sure that she knew that dad had VD.She appeared ok when I said it. I just know that dad can be very awkward..Thanks again.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Would it be better to make a complaint to the Care Quality Commission? My dad's care company is currently being assessed by the CQC, and it seems to be quite an in-depth study. I have been nominated as a family member to be interviewed by the CQC. Fortunately the company concerned has done a very good job.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Would it be better to make a complaint to the Care Quality Commission? My dad's care company is currently being assessed by the CQC, and it seems to be quite an in-depth study. I have been nominated as a family member to be interviewed by the CQC. Fortunately the company concerned has done a very good job.
Might try that too.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
Paramedics reported safeguarding issues following being called to my aunt's. He discussed some of these with me and, despite having told me that in his opinion my aunt had capacity, asked for my permission to do so. Subsequently social services asked for permission and then discussed with me in detail the circumstances of and my feelings about the issues raised. I was never asked if my auntie knew or agreed with the investigation.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Paramedics reported safeguarding issues following being called to my aunt's. He discussed some of these with me and, despite having told me that in his opinion my aunt had capacity, asked for my permission to do so. Subsequently social services asked for permission and then discussed with me in detail the circumstances of and my feelings about the issues raised. I was never asked if my auntie knew or agreed with the investigation.
Thank you. It helps that other people have been through it.