I’m caring for my dad

Joannejones77

Jan 12, 2022
Llandudno
I’m caring for my dad who has mixed dementia and I feel so alone my dad is also diabetic and is insulin dependent. But the last couple of day he won’t get up!!! He won’t eat and he won’t drink!!! I can’t help but worry and I feel useless. I don’t know what to do

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello Joanne, welcome, you'll find lots of friendly support here. Sorry to hear about your dad. As there has been a sudden change over the last few days it's possible that he may have an infection of some sort, or he could be dehydrated. If you haven't already done so please contact his GP or ring 111 for advice. Let them know about the sudden changes and they will know what to do to help your dad.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I’m caring for my dad who has mixed dementia and I feel so alone my dad is also diabetic and is insulin dependent. But the last couple of day he won’t get up!!! He won’t eat and he won’t drink!!! I can’t help but worry and I feel useless. I don’t know what to do
i would contact his gp. he might have an infection some where that might be causing this or even the diabetes itself could cause confusion if not properly controlled. just cross posted with @Louise7 hello joannejones77

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you I will phone his doctor’s tomorrow I just honestly feel he’s giving up!!! And I feel like I’ve let him down

Please don’t feel you’re letting him down. Caring is hard and you are doing everything in his best interests.

Welcome to the forum by the way! You will find lots of understanding and support here.

Joannejones77

Jan 12, 2022
Llandudno
Hello Joanne, welcome, you'll find lots of friendly support here. Sorry to hear about your dad. As there has been a sudden change over the last few days it's possible that he may have an infection of some sort, or he could be dehydrated. If you haven't already done so please contact his GP or ring 111 for advice. Let them know about the sudden changes and they will know what to do to help your dad.
Hi Louise thank you for your reply. I had phoned 111 on Saturday night and the out of hours doctor was called out. But I’ve phoned dads GP this morning and I’m waiting for a call back this afternoon. So feeling a lot more positive today thank god for this talking point.
thank you Louise I did phone Nhs direct on Saturday night but I’ve called his gp today and I’m waiting for a call back this afternoon so I’m feeling a little

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi Joanne, it's good news that you're getting a call back this afternoon and that you're feeling more positive. I hope the GP will be able to offer some help and advice for you and your dad. Keep posting as it can be lonely being a carer but there's lots of support here.

Joannejones77

Jan 12, 2022
Llandudno
Dads seems to be a bit more himself today :) I’ve even had him drinking and eating and up out of bed I’ve also spoke with his GP and we have managed to get a call out for the 23rd