Hyperactive delusions

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Poor mum moved into a new care home quite recently and has since developed hyperactive delirium after a UTI. She doesn't stop, night or day she is continually chatting without making any sense and wandering about. She gets snappy with staff and residents, is rude and at times lewd, and now is trying to get out of the front door. Care home have really tried but cant deal with her and asked her to leav. Social services are looking for an alternative. I hate the idea of having to move her again, with all the upset and upheaval for her, not least with isolation with another COVID test.

We are waiting test results to see if she still has an infection but I feel so desperate and helpless. Stunned that she could get so bad so quickly and seems to be making no progress. Yet dull there are glimmers of my old mum there. I just can't reach them.

Not really seeking advice, just alone with my thoughts and sad.

Last edited:

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Just letting you know someone is listening to you @PMM1485 and sending a ?

Hopefully it is an infection that can be treated, perhaps the original UTI wasn’t zapped.

The worry never stops does it x

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks hun. I hope so. She so needs to rest. She is wearing herself out.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hi @PMM1485 . My mum is terrible with UTI's - wont eat or drink and is delirious, screaming and thinking the care home staff are trying to kill her (and her baby...). I have found that, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that the antibiotic courses are often too short these days. Hopefully more antibiotics will do the trick for your mum. My mum needed a second course after the last infection. Often, she won't take any med's while she is so agitated. Did your mum take all the last course of antibiotics, do you know?

Good luck.

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Yes she did. She ended up in hospital yesterday and had further intravenous antibiotics, even though the urine cultures not back. She's back at the care home now and under COVID restriction which will make her more agitated. They have served us 7 days notice. I hate to move her again as she likes it there. They say they can't cope so we have little choice but that in itself will be another upset.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm really sorry to hear that. I had to move my mum from her first care home two year ago because they couldn't cope with her "challenging behaviour". There was only one care home in the area which would admit her but it is probably the one I would have chosen anyway and they are much better at caring for people with advanced dementia or troublesome behaviour. With any luck, this will be a good move for your mum, to a place where they can give her the care she needs now. It's hard for you in the current restrictions. I will be thinking of you and will keep my fingers crossed for you and your mum that the move works out for the best.