Husband won’t lat me drive!

JBG

Jan 19, 2021
Hi, my husband’s dementia is advancing rapidly during lockdown. He has been shielding since March, but has continued to drive. I am not happy with his driving now, but he is resistant to me driving, and his licence doesn’t expire till March. He will be called for the COVID vaccine soon, but thinks he can go alone, but he doesn’t even know where to go, or where to park let alone anything else. Does anyone know if he could be vaccinated at home, or at a nearer clinic?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
You can always ask the gp about this where I reside there's been no offer of home visits. Hopefully others on this lovely forum maybe able to suggest another option.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
I have no information about home visits- my cousin needed one but she was told it wasn't possible- that's in Staffordshire.

My husband's driving deteriorated too, and eventually I had to stop being a passenger as it caused rows when I used to say 'you are too near to that car!' etc. I felt so on edge. He still went out alone.

One day a policeman came 'to talk to him about an accident he had had'- my husband had no memory of hitting the mirror on a parked car! There were witnesses. The police told him to contact the owner of the other car and pay for the damage. The policeman told him firmly that he must take more care or he could be done for careless driving next time, and lose his licence! I did all the contacting and paid for the damage.

The visit from the police shook him up and when I suggested he should stop driving he reluctantly agreed. I made notes of all this and made an appointment for him to see the GP- when we got there I handed my notes to the GP and he said to my husband 'No more driving ok'- and I sent his licence to DVLA, cancelled the insurance, and sold his car back to the dealer. Now I do all the driving in my car.

JBG

Jan 19, 2021
I have no information about home visits- my cousin needed one but she was told it wasn't possible- that's in Staffordshire.

My husband's driving deteriorated too, and eventually I had to stop being a passenger as it caused rows when I used to say 'you are too near to that car!' etc. I felt so on edge. He still went out alone.

One day a policeman came 'to talk to him about an accident he had had'- my husband had no memory of hitting the mirror on a parked car! There were witnesses. The police told him to contact the owner of the other car and pay for the damage. The policeman told him firmly that he must take more care or he could be done for careless driving next time, and lose his licence! I did all the contacting and paid for the damage.

The visit from the police shook him up and when I suggested he should stop driving he reluctantly agreed. I made notes of all this and made an appointment for him to see the GP- when we got there I handed my notes to the GP and he said to my husband 'No more driving ok'- and I sent his licence to DVLA, cancelled the insurance, and sold his car back to the dealer. Now I do all the driving in my car.
Thank you , very much appreciated. It’s such a common problem.