husband stopped suddenly eyes rolled back and fell straight backwards hitting head

Jumpforjoy

Oct 24, 2012
I took my husband away to Italy for 3 nights. He has vascular dementia plus Alzheimers, diagnosed 3 years ago. He coped really well until catching the bus to airport. I was telling him to keep close to me. He was pulling a suitcase when he suddenly stopped at a zebra type crossing - he could not move forwards and he looked horrified. He then keeled over backwards and hit his head on the pavement. It was literally straight onto his back as if he was rigid. After a few moments he was able to say his name and I managed to get him upright with the help of 2 kind men and we were able to catch the bus to the airport. He has been his usual self since then. He is 60 and has never done this before - has anyone experienced this type of situation? It was terrifying as I couldn't get to him in time to protect him from falling. I'm now worried it will happen again. It seemed to be the black and white striped paving and perhaps my constant calling him to keep beside me that set it off.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness. What a fright for you both. Have you had your husband checked out since you came back?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This must have been so scary for you. All I can tell you is that some months ago my wife fell backwards and hit her head on the pavement so hard that a man came out of a house because he had heard the noise her head made! She was back to what is normal for her within minutes and had no lasting effect.

I would think that your husband's recovery is pretty encouraging. Well done for managing to organise such a holiday. The fall, whatever the cause, sounds as if it could have happened anywhere.

Take care.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
A similar thing happened to my mum last Friday. Just fell flat on her back, luckily on to a soft lawn. In the last week or so I have noticed that mum has been tilting backwards and she feels rigid, like every bone in her back has locked, gp told me that this is due to the Dementia and loosing her centre of gravity. It happened a few times last Summer then nothing until this last week or so, because this tends to happen in the afternoon i'm thinking maybe she is tired.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
How frightening for you and also your husband. It could have been due to the black and white striped paving. I hope he had no physical after effects? As Izzy asked have you had him checked since you came back?

Yes you will be worried in case it happens again. Hopefully not. I do feel for you.

Loo x

Rashley

Dec 21, 2014
Devon
My husband has VD and from the beginning of 2013 he had fainting fits. These unfortunately have now turned to seizures and he takes meds to control them. It is very scary and I was told they are like having TIA's. I hope this incident hasn't spoiled your holiday, memories of holidays and times together are precious. I took my husband to our home in Tenerife November last year for the last time as he is now too poorly to travel. Hope things improve.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I took my husband away to Italy for 3 nights. He has vascular dementia plus Alzheimers, diagnosed 3 years ago. He coped really well until catching the bus to airport. I was telling him to keep close to me. He was pulling a suitcase when he suddenly stopped at a zebra type crossing - he could not move forwards and he looked horrified. He then keeled over backwards and hit his head on the pavement. It was literally straight onto his back as if he was rigid. After a few moments he was able to say his name and I managed to get him upright with the help of 2 kind men and we were able to catch the bus to the airport. He has been his usual self since then. He is 60 and has never done this before - has anyone experienced this type of situation? It was terrifying as I couldn't get to him in time to protect him from falling. I'm now worried it will happen again. It seemed to be the black and white striped paving and perhaps my constant calling him to keep beside me that set it off.

My husband had something similar in 2010. I was helping him as he was getting washed and dressed, when he said he didn't feel well. He sat down, and his eyes rolled and he was dribbling. I thought he was having a stroke and called 999. Response was very quick and he was in A&E within 30 minutes. Can't say the same for them. We were there from 12.30 until 7pm, seeing a Doctor once at 4.30 then again at 6.30 saying it wasn't a stroke, (good job it wasn't, he could have been dead for all the attention he got), might be a virus. However, they didn't prescribe anything for him or refer him to our GP. I took him home to bed and looked after him for a week with Paracetamol. I was later speaking to his Diabetic Doctor about it and she said she felt it was the Dementia, sometimes it goes along in a steady line and then it suddenly drops a little. He was ok after that. No repeats.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It may be something completely different, but my husband (non dementia) has epilepsy from a brain injury. The things that people have described on this thread sound very, very similar to what my husband has - the rigidity, the eyes rolling back, the falling straight back, the salivation, black and white stripes can give the effect of flashing lights ............ It all sounds so familiar.