Husband not admitting there's a problem

Worried Wilma68

Feb 1, 2022
It must be so hard when OH won't accept there is a problem. Living with someone with dementia is hard enough, but the verbal abuse and aggression is soul destroying and difficult to deal with. The only way I cope with it now is that I live in my bedroom mostly, ignore the jibes and insults, and don't ask for help with anything because it only sets him off. This has been a huge challenge for me - I usually fight my corner. But it has also meant that I am learning to lose the guilt and look after my own needs. Because OH can still be left alone I go out as much as possible and meet up with friends and our children. Because he has always been difficult, and rude to almost every one I know, he has no real friends, and because he has been abusive to me for many years now he has lost me too. It is sad but I tried for years to help him but you can't help someone who won't help themselves. I hope you can find a way of creating a life for yourself that you can enjoy
Thank you for your reply, I can relate so much to what you have sad. Take care of yourself to

Desperatejan23

Dec 27, 2021
I am new to this forum I needed to see if anyone was going through similar things as I am with my husband and your post is very much the same. I went through dementia with my dad so I know what the signs are but I am dealing with a husband who has always been verbally aggressive and short tempered which my father never was. I have suspected that my OH was in the beginning Of dementia about 3 years ago and I feel he is declining slowly now. I saw an add on tv about dementia and thought this was my way of getting him to doctors when I mentioned it his response was diverted to me saying Yes I think you should go see about this problem. I knew then that I wasn’t going to get him to the doctors. We are both retired now and I am so sick of walking on egg shells with his aggressive behaviour due to his confusion and frustration over the small things.

Desperatejan23

Dec 27, 2021
Hi, I can relate to the walking on eggshells. It's awful when you can't relax when they're around. I have to remove myself sometimes to another room or out for a walk, he is so infuriating. The last few years have been hell and have made me feel so low. Take care of yourself.

Andy2

Feb 1, 2022
My 86 yr old mum is convinced when she went to the memory clinic the doctor told her, " I do not know why you are here, you have a better memory than me " now every time we try and talk to here regards illness she quotes the doctor, and tells us we are lying. But then 2 minutes later she cannot remember what she had for tea, but that doctor is right as far as she is concerned.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Hi, I can relate to the walking on eggshells. It's awful when you can't relax when they're around. I have to remove myself sometimes to another room or out for a walk, he is so infuriating. The last few years have been hell and have made me feel so low. Take care of yourself.
I do understand how you feel, it is a terrible way to live,. Every day I hope that this does not go on for too long.........