Husband in hospital

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
OH was taken into hospital on Sunday with a serious uti. All very frightening for him. Wasn’t allowed to stay overnight but stayed until he was settled in ward. Left at 2 am. Was allowed back in before visiting which was a good thing as they moved him to another room which was an overflow which could not cater for his needs. Threw a wobble and managed to get him moved into another ward but that didn’t happen until 8 pm. He was very stressed. He’s now in a nice ward and receiving the care he needs. I have been given a Carers pass which means I have unlimited access to him. He’s sleeping a lot and they have got the pain under control and he is still receiving antibiotics through a drip. My only concern is that he had mobility before the uti and he has been laying on the bed since Sunday evening. Scared it will affect his mobility. Waiting for the doctors rounds so I can raise this question and find out what is going on.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
OH was taken into hospital on Sunday with a serious uti. All very frightening for him. Wasn’t allowed to stay overnight but stayed until he was settled in ward. Left at 2 am. Was allowed back in before visiting which was a good thing as they moved him to another room which was an overflow which could not cater for his needs. Threw a wobble and managed to get him moved into another ward but that didn’t happen until 8 pm. He was very stressed. He’s now in a nice ward and receiving the care he needs. I have been given a Carers pass which means I have unlimited access to him. He’s sleeping a lot and they have got the pain under control and he is still receiving antibiotics through a drip. My only concern is that he had mobility before the uti and he has been laying on the bed since Sunday evening. Scared it will affect his mobility. Waiting for the doctors rounds so I can raise this question and find out what is going on.
Hello @Jean1234 The same happened to Richard 10 days ago same symptoms as UTI but worse turned out he had a bile duct infection too. He is doing well and antibiotics have worked. He too was mobile prior to admission and it declined, but yesterday his walking seemed 'normal' for him, so I am pleased about that. I have been going in everyday walking him in the ward when he was over the worst. I hope your OH responds well to antibiotics and recovers his mobility.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Hi @Jean1234
My husband has had some nasty UTIs. He has serious problems with his bladder and kidneys. He had stents fitted in his kidneys in February, unfortunately he was brewing an infection, he came home and became confused and delirious, he ended up with sepsis. His confusion was so bad and it was after this that they checked for Alzheimer’s, which has since been confirmed. His balance and mobility are much worse now than pre stent surgery. We believe the general anaesthetics have impacted on his dementia.
Unfortunately he goes in to have the stents changed next week. He is agitated and anxious. Me, I’m terrified.
I didn’t know that it was possible to have a carers pass. I wonder if you could let me know what you had to do to get this? Because my husband is now incontinent and he can’t work out how to put his pads on himself, he is really worrying what will happen and how he will cope. I try to tell him that it’s a hospital and there will be a lot of people who are incontinent, but it doesn’t stop him from worrying.
I do hope that your husband continues to improve and recovers well and that his mobility improves.
Take care of yourself. B x

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Hi @Jean1234
My husband has had some nasty UTIs. He has serious problems with his bladder and kidneys. He had stents fitted in his kidneys in February, unfortunately he was brewing an infection, he came home and became confused and delirious, he ended up with sepsis. His confusion was so bad and it was after this that they checked for Alzheimer’s, which has since been confirmed. His balance and mobility are much worse now than pre stent surgery. We believe the general anaesthetics have impacted on his dementia.
Unfortunately he goes in to have the stents changed next week. He is agitated and anxious. Me, I’m terrified.
I didn’t know that it was possible to have a carers pass. I wonder if you could let me know what you had to do to get this? Because my husband is now incontinent and he can’t work out how to put his pads on himself, he is really worrying what will happen and how he will cope. I try to tell him that it’s a hospital and there will be a lot of people who are incontinent, but it doesn’t stop him from worrying.
I do hope that your husband continues to improve and recovers well and that his mobility improves.
Take care of yourself. B x
He was moved into an older persons ward so I was told about it. Go to the ward desk and ask for one. I was taken down to a desk in reception which sorted it out.but someone from the ward had to come too.its all part of the hospital being dementia friendly. Hope you manage to get one as my being there has helped to keep him calm and it’s a help for the over stretched nurses. Good luck

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
He was moved into an older persons ward so I was told about it. Go to the ward desk and ask for one. I was taken down to a desk in reception which sorted it out.but someone from the ward had to come too.its all part of the hospital being dementia friendly. Hope you manage to get one as my being there has helped to keep him calm and it’s a help for the over stretched nurses. Good luck
Thanks for that, I will have a go, I don’t give in easily! But it’s great advice.
When they admitted my husband with sepsis, and we had no idea he had dementia, although to others it would probably have been obvious, they put him on a small ward with very late stage dementia patients. The man in the next bed also had Tourette’s. Still the penny didn’t drop! I visited for 7 hours a day for 9 days and he still has no idea I or his brother was there.
I knew he was poorly as he ate his vegetables!
Thanks again for your advice, take care. Bx

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Husband was much brighter today when I went in to the hospital. Timed my visit so I was there when doctor saw him. Very impressed by the way the doctor including me in the discussion about his care and explained the different medication he could be given. He has a problem with his heart as well as the uti and they want to deal with that while he is there. Uti is clearing and he was sitting in the chair next to his bed when I went in. The physio had been to see him before I got there. This afternoon he got up and walked to the end of his bed albeit shakily but he’s on the move again. Can’t explain how great that makes me feel. The doctor wants me to decide which medication of the two on offer he should be given having explained the different effects they have. Just goes to show how that power of attorney for health and welfare does work. He says that OH could be discharged from hospital on Monday so they are making sure he is fit and mobile before they send him home (care home). The nurses are lovely and he’s started to chat to them so he’s getting back to normal. Thanks for your support.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad that you’re having such a positive experience. Wishing you and your husband well.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
So glad to hear that your husband is getting back to normal and chatting to the nurses. It's also great to hear that the Drs are explaining things and including you in discussions.

Thinking of you both and may things continue to improve so that your husband can return to the care home and settle down again, as soon as he is given the green light :)

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I’m really pleased to hear your update... you sound much more upbeat. Really hoping that things continue on this path for you both.
I’ve emailed the hospital my husband is going into on Wednesday asking about a carers pass. Not heard yet, so I’ll let you know.
Take care, thinking of you.... Bx