Humanism

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
humanist funerals

i also attended one of these funeral a few years ago it was of a child i used to look after who was very disabled his funeral although sad was lovely there was lots of music and even atape played of him gurgilling and laughing also the eric clapton song tears in heaven, the song always now remind me of him.
im a non believer so this is always going to b emy choice for funerals it was more like a celebration of life not about how wonderful god is.

AngelaH

Jul 31, 2004
London
non-religious funerals

My father died of AD three weeks ago and I made it clear to the undertakers that we wanted a non-religious funeral. The undertakers contacted someone (I'm not sure if he's a humanist) who came to see us in advance to talk to me about my father, and he led the service beautifully. I just wanted someone who would welcome us and take us through the stages of the service, introducing the speakers and giving us some time to remember my father quietly. (I went through my father's record collection to choose the music. ) It was very helpful to have someone leading the service who knew the ropes (when to stand, etc) so that if I crumpled it wouldn't matter, and he managed to sound sincere without mentioning God! I was impressed. It was a weight off my mind and I shall certainly leave instructions for my own funeral, and hope they find someone as good!

C

Chesca

Dear Janey

My late brother-in-law had a splendid 'humanist' funeral in which his friends, family and close ex work colleagues spoke of him with great humour - he was a great character and it was a brilliant novelty to hear unashamed laughter at some of his idiosyncracies in a crematorium. He'd have loved it!! There were some who frowned on the whole affair as there was no religious content as he wasn't at all religious and despised hyprocisy (I even heard a comment 'you wouldn't even bury a dog like that') but given brother in law had chosen exactly what he wanted we ignored them . However, they didn't object to drinking the champagne toast he had insisted upon after the service.

He is now the Lilac tree in the garden and gets a right telling off each spring for not doing better. Well, he was always very laid back. Anyway, we had a super time in keeping with his wishes and later, when the dust had settled, offered our cuddles and padded shoulders for my sister's tears.

If you're looking for some happy music for your own enjoyment now, you could do worse than get yourself some Gypsy Kings and flamenco yourself around the kitchen tiles (when nobody is looking, of course) and, even if there be sad songs as they're sung in Spanish you'll be none the wiser, unless you're fluent in Spanish....as me mother would say: Get your shoes on Lucy!

Kindest wishes
Chesca

(When will I ever learn: 'short and to the point'?)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Chesca,

You ask "When will I ever learn: 'short and to the point'?"

but you do it so well this way.... why change?:)

C

Chesca

Dear Bruce

Thanks and thanks again. If I'd have known this forum would provide me with an outlet for the one o'clock in the morning scenario that played out in my head I'd have used it months ago (I think I was afraid to see my own thoughts on paper, so to speak). And I would not be sitting here with 5lb (non pc) King Edward sacks under my eyes - very unglam!

Lots of....

Chesca

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Now you've gone too far and almost lurched me into the Pain of the Day.

Talking metric is equivalent to swearing for me and I'm already furious that my beloved car will let me set the external temperature gauge to real temperature [Fahrenheit] while the aircon system insists on my using meaningless numbers to set the climate control. Fortunately it has gallons for fuel, despite being a French car.

lbs and ozs mean something, so that's what I use.

Grrrr!

Last edited:
C

Chesca

Norman! the Latin American!............what a guy! Oops sorry. really must remember where I am! It must be this talk of things Latin that makes a woman all hot and unnecessary.

The Cha cha is fine, as long as it's not down at the bottom of the garden with the fairies (people will talk) - anything suitably dramatic to release all those tensions. So, the patio is battered into smithereens, the kitchen tiles you saved up for 1,000 years because they were quite the thing, don't you know, my dear. are now crazy paving? Call it cubist! The new minimalism.

I would have replied earlier to this, but my system keeps crashing, sometimes it even has the good manners to advise me and other times, like an ill-mannered guest, it just quits without a by-your-leave or what size welly do you take?! The network provider advised us that we needed more memory! So we went to PC World but did not hold out much hope given that we had previously taken Mum to enhance her memory and it hasn't worked! We want our money back!

Love to the fairies (and your neighbour, perhaps you could invent some kind of fence morse, you know the sort of thing, being a naval chappie: one tap for a b.....two taps for an a....and so on)

Chesca

C

Chesca

.....and furthermore, Bruce

lbs and ozs. Serves you right for buying a French car! One of my sisters is an FC (read that anyway you like it) for a major British car manufacturer whose name shall remain anonymous but, as Fred Flinstone would say, the initial are Henry Ford in Europe! You are forgiven, provided you insist on buying 14lbs of bananas next time you go to market. What you do with them is your own business, but I can think of a few apes who could use them.....

Lots of love and pass a small kiss to Jan from me.....aah, I'm getting all pink and fluffy, naaaaahhhhhh! rhymes with AAAAAAARGH!

Many best wishes
Chesca

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Hi
I'm not much good at falmenco or cha cha cha but I find Salsa and merengue good as when you dance on your own, you become such an expert!!!!! Try some of iT Norman as the music is really chirpy and if you dance in front of a mirror, you'll finish up with a giggling fit!!!!
Susie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Ah well I'm just going to have to chip in here.

I am renowned as being to dancing what Fred Astaire was [or Patrick Swayze is] to sewer repair.

This was confirmed when I foolishly agreed to participate in Nina's daughter's weekly Salsa class on her birthday recently. True, I was not quite the worst one there, but that ain't saying much.

For me, the best dancing either requires a most benevolent partner, or sustaining a watching brief. "Dirty Dancing" does it for me.

Like Dracula, I always steer clear of mirrors, though hopefully not for the same reason. He can presumably dance his little heels off and never be seen in a mirror. Sadly I can't say the same for me, and there's just so much ridicule one can take!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Susie,

Flamenco and Cha Cha are okay. I thought salsa came with taco chips and merenque was some exotic pudding with cream and strawberries...??? Mind you, I am suffering some cultural alienation somewhat....!

Jude

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Jude
Are you mistaking Merengue for meringue? One involves a dance swiveling the hips,the other one puts weight on the hips!
I can always rely on this forum for a good laugh!
Susie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
and there was me thinking that Lemon Merengue was a fragrant syncopated version of mud wrestling.

...and Pavlova WAS a dancer wasn't she? Perhaps she did merengue as well as being responsible for meringue in Oz's main dessert....:D

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Brucie
What more could I want (other than my real husband back again)-three of my favourites,ballet food and dancing! This beats a boring Friday at work Ah well time to go home!
Susie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
OK.

Give Norm the Flamenco; Chesca can handle the Cha Cha; Bruce can cope with the fragment mud wrestling; Susie you take the Salsa - I'll stick with the old Reggae.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
You all forgot LIMBO dancing,I could easily get under a 4 foot cane ( no metric please it upsets Bruce)
Any advance on 4 Feet?
I will stick with the CHA CHA thank you

Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chesca
following your advice I gave 26 taps on the fence and the police came.
I told them I was only nailing up holes because the neighbour kept spying on me with the fairies,I don't think they believed me.
They left muttering something about a road accident,I heard them mention tanker as they left.
Must see if the fairies are OK

Norman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jorbla